Copying Saved Games

wandersen

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting increasinly worried about my hard drive on my 360. It sounds to me like it has a few bad sectors (when you have used computers for a long time, you just KNOW this sound) and I'm worried it might fail. If I bought a memory card for my 360, would I be able to somehow copy the saved games from the HDD to the memory card ?

wandersen said:
I am getting increasinly worried about my hard drive on my 360. It sounds to me like it has a few bad sectors (when you have used computers for a long time, you just KNOW this sound) and I'm worried it might fail. If I bought a memory card for my 360, would I be able to somehow copy the saved games from the HDD to the memory card ?

Yes you can, I do it on a regular basis "just in case". Only PD0 and DO4 give problems - you have to transfer the saves over from within those games. The rest you can do from the system/memory blade. :smashin:

wandersen said:
It sounds to me like it has a few bad sectors (when you have used computers for a long time, you just KNOW this sound)...
Really? I'm no spring chicken but I've never heard anything from a HDD that I would associate with bad sectors. I've heard a nasty whining noise when the bearings are giving out or it has been switched when too cold, and some uncomfortable grinding when trying to recover from a "parked" state (a reliable way to hasten the death of certain types of drive), but that's it. Given that modern drives transparently replace up to a certain number of bad sectors themselves you're unlikely to hear them do it anyway. Surely you're just hearing the normal "ticking" sound when the drive head seeks across tracks?

All said, it's still probably worth backing up your saves anyway.

Jim

Grim Reaper said:
Really? I'm no spring chicken but I've never heard anything from a HDD that I would associate with bad sectors. I've heard a nasty whining noise when the bearings are giving out or it has been switched when too cold, and some uncomfortable grinding when trying to recover from a "parked" state (a reliable way to hasten the death of certain types of drive), but that's it. Given that modern drives transparently replace up to a certain number of bad sectors themselves you're unlikely to hear them do it anyway. Surely you're just hearing the normal "ticking" sound when the drive head seeks across tracks?

All said, it's still probably worth backing up your saves anyway.

Jim

Yes - it's when you get that "ticking" sound alot more often than normal, and it becomes a kind of grinding sound as the drive tries to re-read the sectors ...

wandersen said:
Yes - it's when you get that "ticking" sound alot more often than normal, and it becomes a kind of grinding sound as the drive tries to re-read the sectors ...
I thought increased ticking implied a fragmented drive (not that there's much that can be done about that on a 360), but certainly any kind of grinding is a worry.

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom