Copying recordings from Humax HDR to Panasonic DMR-EH50

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sussexseagull, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sussexseagull

sussexseagull
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic Viera TX-P42V20B and a Humax HDR and a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EH50. I would like to connect them so that I can copy some recordings on the Humax to the hard drive of the Panasonic and eventually onto a DVD.
    I have tried copying from Humax to memory stick(FAT32), but the resulting files will not open in my laptop.
    I have connected the Humax to DVD recorder with Scart, and another scart back to the TV back to the TV AV, but all I can record is live TV
    Please help (in simple terms!)

2. mr bobajob

mr bobajob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When Humax creates videos, it forms multiple files into a folder that only Humax needs. Obviously, you have your drive formatted to FAT32, so your files can be copied. The resulting folder should be easily seen on a laptop, and one of the files inside the folder will be an Mpeg which should play perfectly fine. I have done this, and transfered films that have been recorded on the Humax to various other mediums.

Maybe, you should check the file structure of your Humax created folders.

Another solution,

When connecting your Humax to the DVD Recorder, try using HDMI, if not SCART, and don't connect the Humax to the TV, connect the DVD to the TV.

3. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    With a plain vanilla Humax HDR SD files are decrypted when they are transferred to a USB drive. The resulting .ts file should be playable on a PC. These files can easily be edited and burned using the PC and a DVD writer.

Connecting to a DVD Recorder with a SCART cable should provide a method to record programs in realtime on the DVR. HDMI, if available, will not work as any socket on the DVR will be an output only.

You have to select the correct SCART as the Input on the DVR in order to record it - Use the Channel-Down button from BBC1 in order to reach the AV inputs (if memory serves?).

AV2(EXT) ? Lower ? SCART2 is normally the RGB enabled input and this mode is best for recording - Check any labels on the SCARTS.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    SD recordings on a Foxsat-hdr aren't encrypted. they are just 576i mpeg2 in a .ts container. The HDR FOX T2 does encrypt SD though. They can easily be used to create DVDs using a PC.

5. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Either way when transferred to a USB drive the SD recordings are clear (even if previously encrypted.)

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    The difference is that given the ability
    The difference is significant, especially when custom firmware allows direct copying to a PC.

1 Copying SD from a Foxsat-hdr directly to usb is faster than than from a HDR FOX T2 as there is no decryption processing load on the cpu.

2 Using Custom Firmware copying by direct ftp/drive mapping does not require any pre processing to remove the encryption applied during the recording process on the Foxsat-HDR (there isn't any) compared to the HDR FOX T2. Also streaming SD recordings from a Foxsat-hdr using CF DLNA streaming software is very much simpler as the source content is not encrypted in any way.

Basically you assumed incorrectly that Humax pvrs encrypt SD on recording based on a tiny subset (HD FOX T2, HDR FOX T2).

In fact every previous box, starting with the first single tuner Freeview pvr to the Foxsat-hdr records SD without encryption.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I did assume that the HDR in question was a T2 as the other device was a FreeView DVR. I was merely stating that the files should play, and without custom FW ever being mentioned, there should be no problems using a USB device for SD recordings. I was suggesting this was the preferred method but also added some notes if SCART were to be used. Just trying to be helpful.