Copying recordings from Humax HDR Fox T2 to and external drive

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by LesleyG, Feb 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LesleyG

LesleyG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I need to reformat the drive on my Humax as it keeps sticking. There are some recordings that I want to keep so I want to transfer them to an external drive and then transfer them back onto the disk when reformatted. I need to know (in simple language) what sort of external drive I need - is there a specific format and how much capacity does it need?

2. MartinOnline

MartinOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am assuming you only want to move files back and forth and do not want to view them outside of this particular Humax.

The best drive is a 2.5in one designed for use with Laptops, preferably only up to USB2 standard - though these USB2 drives are less common now. A USB2 drive will draw power from the Humax but not overload it which a USB3 drive might do; though this is conjecture based on the output power specification of the Humax USB and the max power input specification of USB3.

You can get a 500GB USB drive for ~ £40.

You can use a powered USB drive but those tend to be more expensive unless you have one lying around.

You can use the Humax to format this USB drive to the same file system that it uses internally. It can only format drives up to and including 1TB.

The size of the drive will depend on how many files you have. Its 4-5GB per hour for High Definition and 1.5GB per hour for Standard Definition. As a simple guide see how much space left you have left on your internal drive and subtract that from the nominal drive size (500GB or 1TB).

Copying files to the external drive takes a long time for standard definition files because they are decrypted as they are copied.

See: Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know | hummy.tv | a discussion forum and help reference for owners of Humax AV equipment

Note that if you have drive problems then the fix-disk option using the customised software can help. See the footnote in the above link.

Martin

3. LesleyG

LesleyG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I have found a few USB2 drives on the internet but they are all different formats - Which is the right one? I do only want to move the files back and forth.

4. MartinOnline

MartinOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you just want to move files back and forth then any format will do because you should format the external drive after you connect it to the Humax (see the menu system). The Humax will format it to its own standard. That is the simplest option for your task. So do not worry about the existing format standard of the drive you are buying.

[For information only. The Humax can read/write to a FAT32 drive up to a file size limit of 4GB. It can only read NTFS; so no good for you. Just use the Humax to format the drive.]

It is only if you want to view the files using a windows computer does the formatting begin to matter.

All drives can be formatted to match the box they are connected to, usually by the box they are connected to.

Martin