1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying own DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by thebrummy_one, Dec 28, 2004.

1. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Chaps,
    I've completed a project and burned it to DVD. As it's a family treasure I intend to copy it half a dozen times to give to my family.
    I used Nero to burn it and I am now trying to use the same package to copy it. I have used 12 discs, 6 of which seemed to copy. When I tried them on my DVD player, only two worked. Is this just the sub-standard discs that I am using? I brought 100 from Maplin's for £30. Or is there a trick to improving the success ratio?
    I must be doing it nearly right to have produced two working discs. I'm not really keen on paying £2 a disc from staples to get a named brand and I haven't got the luxury of time to await an internet order.
    Is it common to have such a poor ratio on lower priced discs? :lease:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the master a different brand of disc or is it also one of your Maplin discs ?

If you are trying to copy the master disc without success , why not burn from your original authoring package folders as you did with the master (assuming you had a 100% success rate with that)

In my experience cheap unbranded discs = less reliability.

You shouldn't find it too difficult to get good quality discs for the price you paid at Maplins, that's assuming the maplin ones aren't , what are they ?

3. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try using a slower burn speed like 1x or 2x as this produces less burn errors. I use datasafe discs and on a slow burn speed they work 100%.

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Guys,
    I would re-burn from my old files but in my eagerness I deleted them after burning the master. The master is a differently branded RW disc. (The copy discs are R only)
    I will try a slower burn speed to see how that pans out.
    Thanks again.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Or if slow burn speeds don't work then you could use a program such as DVDShrink to copy your origional/master DVD. Do an internet search for DVDShrink, it is a free download. I've copied a few of my own disks this way and the results are always very good and have had no 'coasters'.

Mark.

6. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Use Nero to make an ISO image of your master on hard-disk and check that it is a good copy (most DVD software players can read ISOs as if they were real DVDs).

You can then create new DVD's from that far quicker than copying a DVD each time.

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Stevie,
    Two questions; What is 'an ISO image'? & can you explain what you mean when you say 'real DVDs'?

Also lads, I brought some branded discs and I now see that the cheapo things I first tried really does limit the effects of the software package. For instance, when you guys refered to 'burning at a lower speed', with the cheap discs, Nero only let me burn at 4x. With the sony & Packard Bell that I since brought, a whole range of burn speeds from 2x to 8x became available.
    I had some success by not attempting to copy the menus I created and only copying the features.
    Mark, I will give your suggestion a go but I have come to the conclusion that 100 discs for £30 will make a very nice mobil but not much else!!! Having tried them in my stand-alone DVD recorder before burning (I imagine this would burn at 1x) and still getting 20% success, it can only be the quality of the discs and Maplin may well be getting them back!
    Inciedentally, the Packard Bell's work best with Sony still giving some trouble.

8. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry Stevie, just re-read your post (properly this time!!) and understand what you refer to as 'real'

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ISO just means "International Organization for Standardization".

There are many ISO standards but in this case it is referring to an ISO image of your DVD master.

With burning programs if you were to copy your master disc (not on the fly) the software would create an ISO image on your hard drive. (The ISO image being an exact copy of your discs file structure) & it would then burn this image to your new disc. The file extension for these file would be either .iso or .img usually.