Copying old 8mm tape to laptop (iMovie)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by surfdoode2, Aug 7, 2013.

1. surfdoode2

surfdoode2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a load of old 8mm camcorder tapes which I want to convert to my mac. My old camcorder doesn't have firewire and is broken! What is the cheapest type of camcorder I can use with a firewire to copy to my mac and is this the best way of doing it? Specific makes/models much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hi surfdoode2 and welcome to the forum :hiya:

If you want a camcorder with firewire that can play your analogue 8mm tapes then your only option is the Sony Digital 8 camcorders - but only some of them can play the analogue tapes so you need to pick the model carefully. Also these camcorders are long discontinued so second hand is your only option.
    A list of D8 models with those that can play analogue tapes can be found in this post: http://www.avforums.com/forums/18094406-post8.html

Otherwise you can just get a video8 or Hi8 camcorder and a separate video converter. These range from the cheap & (sometimes) cheerful USB adapters such as EZCap to the much better but far more expensive Grass Valley ADVC converters that connect to a PC/Mac via firewire.

Mark.