1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying NTSC VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by captainH, May 5, 2004.

1. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with my problem. I am currently tranferring a few VHS tapes to my Panasonic E100 with a scart cable and it works fine. However I have 2 NTSC tapes and they have a strange problem. My VHS player supports NTSC but when I play it through the scart to the E100 (with TV system set to PAL on the DVD recorder) the sound and picture look fine except the bottom 10% of the screen is actually the top (like the V sync is out and the picture needs to be moved down a bit) - if I change my E100 to use TV system NTSC, the picture is in the correct position but it is B&W. Does anyone have any idea of a way I can do this as I have tried all the different settings that seem available.

Thanks. CH.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    You have to record in NTSC and playback in NTSC using the recorder.

Can your TV accept a NTSC input? If it is PAL only, then that is probably why you get a B&W picture.

Can you record it to DVD-R and play it on a DVD player that converts to PAL?

3. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    The TV does accept an NTSC signal as I play US DVD's through it all the time - it's just I cannot seem to get a valid NTSC picture when I put it the video signal through the DVD recorder. Somewhere along the line the signal is getting messed up as described above.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I think most VCR's cannot do true NTSC. They end up doing PAL 60 format (PAL colour but at NTSC's framerate).

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most UK vcr's only output NTSC as PAL 60.Only Pioneer and Philips record PAL 60.Panasonic will only record NTSC in pure form

6. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    OK, thanks for your input guys - looks like I'm out of luck.