Copying NTSC tapes on Sony RDR-HX900?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the colonel, Oct 24, 2004.

1. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just ordered the Sony machine after much deliberation and one of the first tasks will be to convert some NTSC movies I have on video to DVD. I have now been told this is not as straightforward as I had thought.

My video recorders will play NTSC tapes on a PAL TV but I am told they do not output a true NTSC signal so I will not be able to dub them to the DVD.

One solution was to buy a cheap true NTSC video recorder (if I can find one) and use that to play the tapes and convert them to DVD.

However I have now been informed that the Sony may not be able to accept an NTSC input (unlike a Panasonic), can anybody confirm this? This means a true output NTSC video recorder will be of no use :(

This limits my options to buying a standards converting VCR that converts the NTSC to a true PAL output, this is expensive and not really worthwhile.

I am open to ideas on the easiest and cheapest solution to this problem? The NTSC tapes do not have copyright protection.

Thanks in advance,

the colonel

2. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to manual it CAN record only PAL.
    Playback PAL nad NTSC.
    SECAM will be recorded in PAL and will be playback in PAL.
    page 106

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Get the conversion done by someone else - most large cities have 'backstreet' dealers who are prepared to convert tapes into different formats. Many companies won't do it due to copyright issues - but there's normally one or two local firms that will turn a blind eye assuming it is just home recordings/tapes sent by families etc. Depending how many tapes you have this could well be the cheapest option.

4. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies. There are quite a few tapes and I think the best option will be to change my order to the Panasonic DMR-E95H as this can record an NTSC signal (still need to verify that). Buying a cheap NTSC output video recorder will yield the best results rather than spending lots on a converter that can convert NTSC into PAL.

Best regards,

the colonel

5. deacon43

deacon43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can record from ntsc-disc, I performed this task easily and the result was excellent, dont know why people are commenting when they have not tried!! all the best :smashin: