Copying music to the 360 hard drive.

RHCP

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got my 360!

How do i copy music to the hard drive off my mp3?

Cheers chris!
How do i re-rip it?

I have a 20GB iAudio X5L... it shows in Windows as a portable drive and you just drag and drop files onto it. You dont need any software to do it.

Would I be able to plug this into the 360 USB port and drag the files onto the xbox?

he meant re-rip it off the original cd's onto the xbox, there is no other way of getting music onto the 360's own hd, for anything that shows up as a mass storage device in windows the xbox can play music off of, but does not allow it to be copied over.

Really!!! :eek:

How strange!

Why would'nt they want people to use their mp3's.

Really un-user friendly.

wow - i am amazed that you can't do this.

Ok thanks. So when you say it will play of a device, do you mean only in the dash or does this apply to games to? I'm never a big fan of game music but then I'm usually too lazy to re-rip my CDs.

Cheers ;)

RandomLee said:
Ok thanks. So when you say it will play of a device, do you mean only in the dash or does this apply to games to? I'm never a big fan of game music but then I'm usually too lazy to re-rip my CDs.

You can have your own music play in-game, just hit the guide button while playing and go down to the music section.

RHCP said:
Really!!! :eek:

How strange!

Why would'nt they want people to use their mp3's.

Really un-user friendly.

wow - i am amazed that you can't do this.

So they can`t get done for copyright I guess. Also, they don`t want the drive filled up with MP3s as they want you to download demos and arcade games.

Probably the latter as if you can copy your own CDs to the HDD then there's nothing to stop you making your own audio CD from all your mp3s and then ripping that to the xbox. Unless the xbox knows it's a copied CD?

I think it is mostly becasue ripping cd's is a lot less legally dubious than copying mp3's, it has no way to detect if a copied cd or not, but thats not their problem at that point.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Also, they don`t want the drive filled up with MP3s as they want you to download demos and arcade games.

How do microsoft know what i want?

It would be nice to be given the choice.

My little 256meg muvo parks perfectly into one of the lower usb sockets :) but as mentioned above i am unable to transfer any of the music on the mp3 player to hard drive. I can confirm the only way to do (as mentioned above) is via cd and i can confirm copied cd's work :smashin:

Another nice thing with putting music on the hard drive is that if you have the microsoft remote you have control over music playback during gameplay without having to interrupt the game and go into dash board.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom