Copying music from Ipod to Library

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
I have accidentally deleted the 'Mrs' itunes library :rolleyes: by deleting her user account.

Is there anyway of copying what is on her ipod back to the library??

If not would what happens when you connect the ipod back to itunes and it automatically updates? Does the system think you have deleted everything from the library and so deletes it from the ipod too?

Tunney

Yeah, it'll delete everything.

Your best bet is to download a piece of 3rd party software like iPod Utils. It'll allow you to transfer music from your iPod back onto your PC.

JeffB

Try this.

Open iTunes and select edit/preferences/advanced/general. Put a check mark in the box marked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and also "keep iTunes music folder organized", then click 'ok'.

Connect the iPod whilst holding down the shift/ctrl keys to prevent any auto sync, and if you see the dialogue window asking if you want to sync to this itunes library, click 'no'.

Then go to file/add folder, open 'my computer', select your iPod and click 'ok'.

The music files should transfer to your iTunes.

However it appears that no playlists or any other info such as ratings/last played etc will transfer.

If this is important to you, you may want to use other options.

There's Yamipod. This is a free program that transfers music and playlists etc from iPod back to the computer.

kevH

Or theres Ephpod which ive used before which is very straight forward and recovers them well :smashin:

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
JeffB said:
Try this.

Open iTunes and select edit/preferences/advanced/general. Put a check mark in the box marked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and also "keep iTunes music folder organized", then click 'ok'.

Connect the iPod whilst holding down the shift/ctrl keys to prevent any auto sync, and if you see the dialogue window asking if you want to sync to this itunes library, click 'no'.

Then go to file/add folder, open 'my computer', select your iPod and click 'ok'.

The music files should transfer to your iTunes.

However it appears that no playlists or any other info such as ratings/last played etc will transfer.

This worked a treat :thumbsup:

Strangely some of the mp3 files in the ITunes folder transferred to strange track names with four digits like KZDF. All tracks were named ok on ITunes though. If I I double clicked the affected mp3 file within the ITunes folder they correctly renamed themselves.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom