1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying MiniDV tapes to PC then onto VCD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by townfan63, Jan 26, 2005.

1. townfan63

townfan63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give regarding copying MiniDV tapes onto my PC and then onto a VCD.

My best previous attempt results in the picture and sound on the VCD being slightly out of sync.

I have a Sony TRV22E Camcorder which I connect using a USB cable.
    The software I used to transfer to PC and then on to VCD is Nero Smartsuite.

The picture is a little 'ghosty' but is that to be expected when viewing the VCD on a normal TV screen? (or can that be improved also?)

What is the best software/method to use for this whole operation (I don't have a big budget but would consider £30-£40 pounds acceptable), although, maybe it's the method that can be improved.

Any suggestions?

Much Appreciated.

Bill&Ben
    :thumbsup:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To start with you should connect the cam to PC via firewire (aka iLink, DV port or ieee1394) as this is the only way to get full quality video onto the PC. The cam will have firewire output, but if you don't have an input on the PC you can add a PCI firewire card to any PC for around £10 including a firewire cable.
    If you are running Windows XP then you have a free but good program for capture & editing called Movie Maker. This will not create a VCD that can be played on a DVD player etc so you will still need to use Nero to create the disc as before.

Mark.

3. townfan63

townfan63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MarkE19,

Thanks for that info. Can you recommend a make/spec/supplier for one of these?

Bill&Ben
    :thumbsup:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    This one should be plenty good enough.

Mark.