• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Copying Itunes to new computer

fairlysteady

Standard Member
Can someone please help me?

I have had a new computer, from XP to vista, i copyied my itunes folder from my music on my xp and also the music folder full of all the mp3 files which create the itunes libabry. I have pasted these into the music folder on the vista machine. I have installed itunes onto the new computer and itunes finds my playlists and tracks but when i go to play a track it says file can not be located. Can someone please help me with this. I really really dont want to locate each indivual file this could take forever. is there a way of doing it in one hit?

Thanks in advance

Matt

fairlysteady

Standard Member
Sorry to bump this thread not having anyjoy getting itunes to find my music, only playlists and album artwork but no joy when i press play on a track, asks if i want to locate the file.

Any help would be great,

Matt

jerryjal

Prominent Member
I had the same problem.

What i did was to copy and paste the itunes music in to the itunes music folder in my documents, once i had done this i dragged and dropped the same folder directly in to the itunes music section on the itunes page and this solved it.

I did lose some of my artwork but all my music now plays.

Hope i have explained myself ok!!

Hope it helps. :smashin:

thariq

Prominent Member
another way is to copy the itunes and music folders from the old computer say to a folder called itunes under documents on the new computer, and then fire up itunes while holding the shift key, you will then get an option to choose your library, browse to the documents/itunes folder and select the library.

I have my music on a removable drive and so I can sync at my work pc and home pc, this works well and havent had any issues yet :smashin:

gkf9

Distinguished Member
Have you tried to Consolidate your library? it's in one of the menus, I think it's under library then Consolidate library, this will put all your files together etc.... Might be the reason it can't locate the files?

Not sure exactly which menu, as I'm at work, probs be under file menu somewhere.

judethedude

Prominent Member
Have you tried adding the new music folder to the iTunes library ?

File/Add Folder To Library/Browse to folder containg all your music and press OK.

This has worked for me several times as, eventhough iTunes seems to know the music is there, it wants you to tell it to add the music to the library !

BIGDENNIS10UK

Standard Member
Have you tried adding the new music folder to the iTunes library ?

File/Add Folder To Library/Browse to folder containg all your music and press OK.

This has worked for me several times as, eventhough iTunes seems to know the music is there, it wants you to tell it to add the music to the library !

but doing this just adds duplicaates of the missing files and then you lose all your info (plays and ratings), i can't belive this isn't eady to fix, i literally have to locate 19500 files indiviually :(

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
First thing is dont let ITunes do anything for you. I have all my music on a 2nd hard disk in a folder i called created Music I then just point the ITunes software to my folder and tell it to use that for everything. I dont use the Itunes default folders for anything as ive had nothing but issues in the past.

yus786

Established Member
are they all in different folders etc?

you should be able to change the drive letters on your pc to what they used to be on the old pc

do that using the disk management tool

it should then detect all your music

its what i do :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom