Quantcast

Copying Iphone Library from Pc to Mac

adrian3221

Novice Member
Windows Vista recently corrupted on my laptop and my hard drive has been wiped when Vista was reloaded onto the laptop. I am thinking of buying a Macbook as I am fed up with Windows and PC's. If I get a Mac would it be possible to copy my entire iPhone library onto the Mac when I first plug it in?

mattg

I think that would depend on If you have bought the music through iTunes or imported your own mp3s into the library. You might be able to access the mp3s on your phone now with a third party app before trying to sync with iTunes on any machine if your iPhone is now the only back up you have.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
When you plug your iPhone into the Mac for the first time and try to sync with iTunes, the contents (music, apps, video) of the iPhone will be deleted.

However, there is a solution - iRip 2 – iPod and iPhone music transfer software for Mac or PC – The Little App Factory

This app allows you to copy the contents of your iPhone to a folder on your Mac (or directly into iTunes). Then you populate iTunes with it, so that when iTunes informs you that performing a sync will erase content from your iPhone, it doesn't matter as you already filled iTunes with the same content so it will be synced back anyway.

Any music you've bought from iTunes, and likewise any apps, are easily recoverable from within iTunes itself. Just log into iTunes with your Apple ID, then in the Store press PURCHASED and you can download anything you've bought through the iTunes Music or App store (and books, movies and TV shows too)

johnelf

Standard Member
The other and I think easy solution would be to sign up to ITunes Match for £21
Then simply upload and match your music to the cloud
Then download to all your devices from the cloud
John

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
IMO, £21 is a lot of money to listen to music you've already paid for, and the OP might not have iOS5 yet anyway.

If you want to do it for free, you can plug your iPhone into a Windows computer, install and run SharePod, which will allow you to copy the music from your iPhone to the Windows laptop. Then put it all on a USB drive, copy it to the Mac, and the rest is the same as I outlined above.

adrian3221

Novice Member
Thanks for the above replies. I ended up buying a Mac Powerbook and used 'Phone To Mac' to transfer all my music from my phone to the Mac. When I plug my phone in now it is recognised by iTunes but it won't sync any music???

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Have you checked the options to sync music?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
:rotfl: Happens to the best of us pal! :smashin: