Copying home dvd's using pc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TraceyJ, Jan 11, 2004.

1. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone tell me how I copy dvd's I've created on my HS2 using my pc please? I have a dvd recorder on my pc but not sure what sort of software I need.

I see there are various items of software for copying protected dvd's but I don't need anything like that. I've been reading around and have found something saying I should just be able to copy using my pc but I can't work out how!! :blush:

The only thing I've found on the pc that looks useful is Power Producer. Is this what I should be using? (I have XP btw)

Edit to add that I'm able to copy cd's from one drive to the other so just wondering if I should also be able to do that with dvd's.

A further edit to say I've just found the dvd/cd switch button on Nero :blush: so it looks like I will be able to use that!! It does however say 'copying with 'on the fly' is risky - please make sure that the source cd is clean and the reading speed is at least double the writing speed'. What does 'on the fly' mean? Is it copying directly from one to the other? Should I therefore avoid this?!

Thanks very much
    Tracey

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    "On the fly" means that you record directly from one DVD to the other DVD. To do this you would need two DVD drives, one to read and one to record.

It is quite possible to do this provided your reading(ripping) speed is greater than your writing speed. Copying "on the fly" used to give problems with buffer underrun which would cause your copy to fail although most of the newer writers have a buffer underrun protection feature.

The usual suggestion is to copy the image to your hard drive and then write to DVD. Nero's wizards should help you through this if you're not sure.

3. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks as ever Jem, have just copied one on the fly and just testing it. Do you get the same quality recording to pc and then to dvd as you do recording directly from the HS2?

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well it should be an exact copy but I haven't tried it.

5. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmmm, first one hasn't worked, ok to begin with and then dvd goes all funny - off to try the other way :)

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Tracey,
    I have the LG 4040B, with it's bundled software I can copy single layer discs using B's Recorder Gold software or the Neo software.
    Try and find a "Copy Disc" utility in Nero, I am sure it has one, and just try and copy it.
    If you have a player which is -/+ RW compatable practice on them first as you can re use the failures.

7. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    best software for you is dvdxcopy platinum. checkout details on web. If too expensive try dvdxcopy express. Although an American program I think they have a UK office-checkout the web

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    bigb,

Tracey is only after copying single layer home made discs made on the HS2.

The software bundled with the PC should do that, as good as the others maybe I think they will be more than needed.

9. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks bigb and Ged :) you're right Ged, I only need to copy home made dvd's so don't need the extras

well it wasn't the copying facility that messed up the first dvd I tried copying, it was the original that my HS2 created that was faulty :( proper panasonic disks too!! oh well, hopefully it'll be a one off - just don't fancy checking all the copies I'm doing for friends and family! no doubt they'll tell me if it doesn't work!

thanks again
    Tracey

10. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is no use to you Tracey but for the rest of us who don't have a DVD writer you can convert DVD to CD using EazyVCD which can be down loaded free from tinternet. Of course quality is lost, as are the menus and chapters etc.

11. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have used VCDEasy to create vcd's in the past, pre-HS2. May continue to archive some things to vcd though that I want to keep but not necessarily in dvd quality.

One thing I have found is that I can't move forward and backwards between clips on the dvd created on my HS2 on dvd players other than the HS2. Anyone know if it's possible to create these? I can of course go into the menu but sometimes I just want to skip a particular song!

12. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Copy using Clone DVD. it uses either DVD to DVD or DVD to h/d and then h/d to DVD. You can also do multiple copies of the same disc using the h/d inclusive procedure.

13. darthweb

darthweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this website which is what you're probabley looking for

www.321sales.co.uk

14. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    IMO the best FREE software for doing this is DVDDecrypter - yes I know it's not encrypted in the first place but use the ISO Read/Write option for a perfect 1:1 copy.