• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Copying from HDD to Blu-Ray.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Quick query: I have a Panasonic BWT735 Blu-Ray recorder.

I have a short series of five 44 minute programmes that I want to copy off the HDD and onto blank Blu-Ray disc.

Apart from being a lot quicker, is it better to record each episode at High Speed or in real time in HG? What's the difference?

Thanks!

Gavtech

Administrator
Assuming they were recorded in DR mode then it is much more space efficient to leave then in that format - and quicker to transfer obviously.

But any player you play the discs on in future must support the DR mode - and more than likely that will be only Panasonic players.

If you want to be able to play the discs elsewhere - then use one of the other modes.

You have the option of pre-converting them and then high speed copying... or converting them as you burn - in real time.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Thanks Gav

I am in the process of converting all the files into HG because I remember you saying before that DR would likely only work with other Panasonic machines, and I want to be able to play discs on any player.

Okay, when I've finished converting the files and it's time to copy them, will the High Speed option appear or will it have to be real time?

It's not a great hardship, but it would save a lot of time if I could copy in High Speed. Do you lose any quality?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Once they are converted to HG you will be able to copy to a Blu-ray disc at high speed.

Okay and is there any difference between copying the files at High Speed or in real time?

Are there more likely for errors or reduced PQ at High Speed or less?

k-spin

Established Member
If you are simply copying programmes, rather than re-encoding them, then the machine will copy across at high speed. It doesn’t offer you the option to copy across in real time IIRC. Real time copying is only used when you are re-encoding the programmes at the same time.

i.e. copying an HG programme on the HDD to Blu-ray and keeping it HG will be done at high speed. Copying a DR programme on the HDD to Blu-ray and converting to HG would be done in real time.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
If you are simply copying programmes, rather than re-encoding them, then the machine will copy across at high speed. It doesn’t offer you the option to copy across in real time IIRC. Real time copying is only used when you are re-encoding the programmes at the same time.

i.e. copying an HG programme on the HDD to Blu-ray and keeping it HG will be done at high speed. Copying a DR programme on the HDD to Blu-ray and converting to HG would be done in real time.

Okay.

Sorry to labour the point but: the programmes are now in HG ready to be copied onto a Blu-Ray.

Which is better, copying at High Speed or in real time? Is there a difference?

Thanks!

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
High speed copy just copies the data as it is; no change except to the file/directory structure and naming (for compatibility with the BD-Video standard). Hence, the copy on the disc is in effect identical to the original source file (in this case - your HG version).

RealTime copying is a re-encoding process. Every re-encode is inherently degrading.

Therefore - high speed copy gives the better result.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom