copying family videos onto computer

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gemz1982, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, hope I have the right forum. i'm after help on how to copy from video to pc. i have an old vcr which a few home movies that I want to copy to dvd or cd. but have know idea where to start or what cables I need etc.
    thanks

2. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ooh how longs a piece of string???
    You have several options depending upon format of media.
    What output has the camera got? If its a modern digital one with either firewire (IEE1394) or USB output then all you will probably need will be software and possibly a firwire card if your PC does not have this as standard.

I suspect it has only composite video or SVHS out on the camera?
    If so you will need a video capture card and appropriate software.

A lot of people will tell you that Pinnacle Studio software is rubbish, but it does a pretty good job for domestic purposes. Can be purchased in various versions and also bundled with hardware.

Alternatively you may wish to consider buying a cheap DVD recorder? Seen some of these for sub £100 (Tesco have an Alba for £55 online) Ok never win an award, but as cheap as the software and hardware to convert the PC. And if you only need to do a 'one-off' job will be infinitely easier :)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    This question gets asked a fair bit in the 'camcorder & video editing' forum and there is loads of advice on several threads that should help. Have a look at This thread as it should offer a fair bit of advice to get you started.

Mark.