1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Samari, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably I stupid question but I wouldn't know :confused::
    Q.When you copy a DVD or CD with you're PC is the quality reduced?

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I have backed up a couple of films, movie only, onto my hcpc hard drive with no compression and have not noticed any reduction in quality.

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    If you are using DVD shrink, then I guess there must be picture quality reduction due to the compression, but not to the point where it becomes unwatchable.

4. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies but I meant DVD onto a RW DVD not onto a PC.

5. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you dvdshrink as Xusia mentioned, it will compress to allow everything to fit onto a 4.7GB (single-layer) disk. The amount of compression depends on what is on the original disk. If the original is single-layer you'll get a straight 1:1 copy. If it's dual-layer and packed to the hilt, it will compress, although you can remove subtitles and soundtracks to reduce the amount of compression.

6. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you use Windows media player (9) to copy DVD's?

7. Rob Pyatt

Rob Pyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with DVD Shrink, much depends on the settings that are used.

It is usually possivle to backup just the movie, with none of the extras, and not need to compress it at all. If you are selective about what you want to backup that is.

If you really must have all the different sound tracks and subtitle options, then the quality will be reduced accordingly. I suggest looking at the website where there are some good tutorials on this.

I usually back up just the film with its English 5.1 DD Soundtrack to avoid the annoying menu system on many DVDs, not to mention the dreaded "coming soon in theatres" trailers!

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    No, definitely not. Microsoft would not put this functionality in since it is illegal.

9. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It's also illegal to copy a cd but Microsoft don't seem to have a problem with that. What's the difference?

Can anyone tell me the best software to get for dvd copying? I'm just about to get a new pc with a dvd burner and want to copy my entire collection but in needs to be 100% perfect sound and picture. I don't care about extras. Is this possible?

10. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha I've found that my DVD copying software is called "Sonic My DVD".
    Does anyone have info on how good this is and if it copiues the DVD's to the same quality they would be on the original?

11. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you backup a dual-layer disk and want everything - soundtracks, extras etc and want it to be identical in terms of quality, then I would of thought you would need blank dual-layer disks and a burner capable of burning dual-layer disk. Otherwise, you will have to compress it to get everything onto a single-layer or span it across two single-layers.

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    It is physically impossible to do an exact 1:1 copy of a DVD9 disc to a 4.3Gb DVDr without quality lose, as soon as you go over the 4.3Gb mark the quality will have to suffer in order to fit everything onto the disc. There is no way around this unless you have a duel layer dvdr burning and even then the discs would only playback on the burner, standard dvd players cant read duel layer dvdr media yet.

I think your best bet would be to try out the latest version of DVD Shrink, it is an excellent free program which I have been using for along time. If you rip out all the extra soundtracks and set the extras to the lowest possible compression setting the main movie can come out looking near identical to the original, that is the best you will get im afraid.

13. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most films as long as they aint over 2 hours fit onto a dvd-r at near perfect quality as long as you dont use things like menus or extras etc. The best use for dvd-r in my opion is too save damaged disks, i have lost count of the amount of films i have borrowed or lent out and have been damaged and unwatchable. Yet for some reason if you copy that dvd most of the time it plays back fine without any of the problems the original had due to damage.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    That doesn't always happen. It depends on the average bitrate. The higher it is, the more compression is needed. I have seen 2 hour films require as much as 20-30% compression.

15. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD copier is a "+" type, what does this mean and is it worse than the "-" types?

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    That means it will only accept DVD+R/RW media and not DVD-R/RW media.

Personally I would say it is worse than DVD-R as the +R blanks costs more and they are not as compatible on older players.

17. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is there any software that will allow you to copy to a DVD-R but miss out subtitles, director's commentaries and unwanted sountracks so that it might fit onto one single sided disc without compression?

Martin

18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    Yes, DVD Shrink will allow you to remove subtitles and soundtracks but even with them gone the film may not fit onto a dvdr without any compression but is always worth a try.

19. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks.

Does DVD Xcopy do the same?

Martin

20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    It may but it wont change the outcome im afriad, if the film still needs compression even after the subtitles and extra soundtracks are removed you are better off using DVD Shrink with the Deep Analysis setting on.
    Also, with DVDXCopy it places a warning message at the start of the DVD which cant be removed so another reason to use DVD Shrink :thumbsup:

21. Samari

Samari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I buy DVDshrink from?

22. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    It's free from HERE

23. muppetmick

muppetmick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Clone dvd which I find very easy to use and can also remove subtitles/Menu's and other unwanted items.

Mick.

24. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    With dvdshrink as well if you are only backing up to the hardrive you can specify no compression, this is what i do for movies only i.e no extras or menus etc.

25. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You'll also need something like DVD Decrypter, to get round the copy protection on the DVDs, or you'll get nowhere. There is a piece of software called DVD Fab, which rips, decrypts and burns in one package, but it won't compress, so you may be forced to use 2 blanks per film. DVD X Copy used to do it all, but I didn't think you could get it in that form any more, as they got into trouble and had to stop selling it.

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    With other conversion programs like Instant Copy maybe but not with DVD Shrink as it can rip and compress so it is all you need, well that and a burning program like RecordNow Max or Nero to burn the files to dvd once compressed.

27. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, but Nero won't burn if the material is still copy protected, which is why you need to use DVD Decrypter as well. ;)

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    As DVD Shrink rips a DVD it removes the copy protection, if it didnt it wouldnt be able to convert, that is why programs like IC7 require you to use DVD Decrypter to remove the copy protection first but as DVD Shrink can remove copy protection you dont need to use DVD Decrypter. DVD Shrink can also remove the region coding or allow you to set it to a specific region so like I said above, DVD Shrink is all you need, no need for DVD Decrypter unless you want to use it to burn in which case you can tell DVD Shrink to use DVD Decrypter to burn the compressed files as soon as it is finished.

29. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I use Nero 6 for burning and DVD decrypter to.. well... decrypt DVDs to my hard drive.

Once decrypted, I burn the film to a DVD-R. (Bcoz its the chepest disks around.) Depending on the DVD I copy, the quality can be good.
    In some cases when the film is only a few gb, say 3,5GB, it can always fit perfectly onto the DVD-R without loosing anything. So in esence this is a perfect copy.

But as some people mentioned, If the DVD/Film uses more than 4 gig, then the quality drops since its compressing everything to fit onto a smaller disk.

More recently 9gb (dual layer) disks have started to come out. So once i get me a new drive and new disks, ill be able to make a perfect copy of any movie on DVD!

Then the whole Blu-Ray HD-DVD fiasco will start, and it will be back to the drawing board. But hopefully, these new formats will be recordable from day one!

30. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Fair enough. I stand corrected.