Copying DVDs to VCR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by webtech, Aug 23, 2005.

1. webtech

webtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently awaiting delivery of a new television so today decided to make some room and clear up the clutter of cables at the back of my existing model.

Whilst I was switching my SCART leads around, I took the opportunity to connect my DVD player (Panasonic model DVD-S35) to my VCR (Panasonic model NV-FJ620B) and tried to record a snippet of a commercially recorded DVD on to a blank video tape.

I’m aware that this is a legal “no-no” but I didn’t think for a minute it would work – as I was always under the impression that there was some sort of "Macrovision" protection on DVD players which prevented the copying of commercially recorded DVDs to VCR.

To my great surprise, the DVD was copied perfectly to the blank videotape without any difficulty.

I haven’t got the time or inclination to make use of this “discovery” (I can’t see the point of recording my DVD collection on to video tape) but I am surprised that it worked at all as I thought there was a protection system in place to prevent such “piracy”.

As I said, I haven’t got any fancy gizmos to overcome Macrovision protection – simply an ordinary DVD player and VCR from the High Street connected with a standard SCART lead.

Can anyone clarify why this worked (i.e. is my VCR a “pre-Macrovision” piece of equipment)?

Many thanks

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Apparently there are a few commercial DVD's that do not have macrovision protection.
    Some of the James Bond discs and at least one of the Harry Potter discs.
    I'm sure that if you try one or two other discs you will have copying problems.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The only thing that I can think of is that some multiregion mods to a DVD player also disable the macrovision protection.

Mark.

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    yeh sometimes marketed as "VCR friendly" lol, my old sony done that.