1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD Soundtracks to Minidisc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CJROSS, Mar 21, 2001.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    HCC Forum members can you advise

Pioneer DV-717 recording onto Sony MDS-510 Minidisc deck. Hooked up to a Sony TAF-3000ES hifi amp.

I'm currently running into problems trying to copying music soundtracks from DVD films.
    (eg. Metallica's - I disappear - MI2) I can currently record from CDs via the coax output on my 717 but not DVDs, even when I try to use the analogue out from the 717 connected straight into the 'in' loop of the MD deck, I cant copy as no siganl is coming through. When I try to copy a CD via the analogue I get a signal. My PCM settings are set to 96Khz on the 717.

Is this a problem with copy protection on the 717 or do you reckon there is a fault with my 717? Finally do any of you guys record DVD soundtracks just now and if so what is your equipment, It would be handy to know if you can record from a DD/DTS amp to MD or CDR via the coaxial out on the DVD.

Any comments appreciated.

2. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I am not familiar with all of your items, so I can't say for certain, but I am pretty sure that there can be no copy protection on an audio signal which is being sent via analog cables.

I believe that the Copy Protection System was brought in for Digitial to prevent continous perfect copies of material, but analogue should send the signal without any problems.

Have you tried connecting the DVD to the amp via analogue? Do you still get sound? If not, then it sounds like the DVD may be at fault.

(I think! that) the Sony MD will report in the display if it has a problem due to the Copy Protection. Mine fires the words "SMCP - Cannot Copy", which gives you the clue as to why you can't here sound....

I hope that is of some kind of use!

Cheers,

Paul.