Copying DVD+RW to DVD-R

P

photoman

I have been watching this forum for a few weeks now and hope to buy a 160GB HDD recorder some day. In the meantime, I decided to give the cheap end a go first to see what's what. I got a Goodmans 300R (DVD+RW) and have been playing around with copying some of my old video collection.

On one disk I put a two hour session and a one hour session. I now want to put it onto DVD-R. However, when I browse the disk, it shows 7+GB in the VIDEO_TS folder! Can someone please explain how this can be as it is only a 4.7GB disk. There are two sets of VOB files, each containing 5 files. The file sizes are 770+MB for each of the first 4 files, the 5th one being smaller.

What I want to do is to transfer it to DVD-R and maybe have a simple two option menu (prog1 and prog2). What is the best s/w to achieve this?

There is actually only one recording, but two displayed versions of it so it seems like double capacity. One is the original recording, and the other the edited version (if you had done any).

I presume you know that the Video OBject files are segmented to get round the single file size limitation of the FAT32 filing system.

If all you want to do is to change the menu appearance, then I recommend Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 3 Disc Creator as an authoring program, which will make the menu changes direct to the disc. Otherwise if you want to do frame accurate editing to chop out adverts, try DVD Decrypter (freeware) to rip the title, Womble MPEG2VCR (months free trial) for the editing, and then DVDMF3-DC (months free trial) to burn the final -R.

Others may recommend other editors or authoring programs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom