1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD-RW (in VR) to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by duhdvdnoworkie, Jan 19, 2005.

1. duhdvdnoworkie

duhdvdnoworkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I recorded a home video to DVD-RW in VR mode on a stand-alone Sony DVD recorder. I then copied the DVD-RW to DVD-R on my home PC using "copy entire disc". Everything seemed to work fine.

However, when I try to playback the new DVD-R on another DVD player (that was able to play other DVD-R, same make, model, etc.) it won't load.

I'm missing something here. When I copied from DVD-RW to DVD-R, does the format still stay DVD-RW, or "VR" mode? Is that why the DVD-R won't play? When I record on the stand-alone DVD recorder directly to DVD-R, I am able to playback the disc just fine.

The reason I'm trying to do this is, the Sony recorder only allows chapter editing on DVD-RW and only when in VR mode. So, I was hoping to edit my DVD's, get them the way I want, and then copy them to DVD-R so I could send copies out to family members and not have to worry too much about whether they will be able to play them on their DVD players (as I understand DVD-R is the most compatible).

Please help!

Also, feel free to email me at mjohnston93 @ cogeco.ca
    :confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    DVD-RW VR Mode uses a substantially different file structure to DVD-R (Video). If you follow the Guide in the 'DVD-RAM to DVD-R Conversion' link in my signature that will tell you everything you need to know to do what you want (DVD-RW VR mode is the same file format as DVD-RAM uses).

3. duhdvdnoworkie

duhdvdnoworkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah hah! So DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (VR) are synonymous. That helps quite a bit. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Read your article, and downloaded TMPGE (2.5). I think they've made some extensive revisions to their product though, because your screen shots look almost nothing like their product. Anyway, I tried it nonetheless, but got hopelessly lost, and gave up. Hopefully a new how-to will be coming our way?

Did I download the right version? Says it's "TMPGEnc Plus 2.5"...

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    No - that's the wrong programme which is why the screenshots look different ;)

You need to download TMPG Encoder Author v1.6 - the latest version of the programme and the same one my Guide is written for!

5. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi :clap: , that software an guide is great thanks alot :thumbsup: . No more trying to press record at the exact time to miss out adverts when recording onto dvd-r. :smashin: