1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD footage to PC?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Daverey2, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Daverey2

Daverey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi
    Not sure I'm on the correct forum, but here goes.

I'm not very techie and the world of using a PC to edit camcrder footage and stuff is brand new to me.

I currently have a very high end PC and a firewire card, and have jst managed to master capturing camcorder footage correctly.

What I am wondering is - is it possible to link p a DVD player to the PC using the firewire card, and capture film footage as avi or mpeg files??

Dave

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Well there are a couple of options for getting the video off a DVD and onto your PC.

The easiest would be to put the DVD disk into a DVD drive on the PC and then with software from many of the companies that do editing software you can edit the files, as long as they are not encripted/copy protected. There is no real reason to convert them back to AVI as this will result in a long delay for the conversion and a loss of quality. If you do want to convert the files though this can also be done with a large range of software.

Some DVD recorders have a DV port that can be connected to a PC to transfer the footage by firewire.

From a standard DVD player you could connect it via the composite or S-Video outputs (plus those for stereo audio of course) to either an analogue capture card or a Canopus ADVC box that then connects to the PC via firewire.

If you have a camcorder with AV-in enabled (note AV-in and not just DV-in) then you could connect the DVD player as above to it and then use the cam as a converter to get the footage onto the PC via firewire.

Mark.