Copying data from one hard disk to another

Gussy Boy

Standard Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my internal hard disk in my laptop to a larger one. I can make an exact copy of my current disk to an external hard drive but am confused about the process of retrieiving the data once the new drive is in place in my laptop. I have no CD/DVD disk to install Windows XP onto the new drive so it will be completely empty and (I assume) will be unbootable.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before (which it probably has :boring:).

Thanks for all input in advance

Gussyboy

Upholder

Novice Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my internal hard disk in my laptop to a larger one. I can make an exact copy of my current disk to an external hard drive but am confused about the process of retrieiving the data once the new drive is in place in my laptop. I have no CD/DVD disk to install Windows XP onto the new drive so it will be completely empty and (I assume) will be unbootable.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before (which it probably has :boring:).

Thanks for all input in advance

Gussyboy

A straight forward copy will not work.

Use Norton Ghost, to create an "image" of your current drive on to your ext hdd. You can then restore the image on to your new int hdd when installed.. It's actually a straight forward process, but make sure you read the instructions to understand the process..

Gussy Boy

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. How will the laptop boot up if the new HDD is empty? Will I need to make some kind of DVD boot up disc?

badbob

Banned
If your system needs a fresh install, rather than spend a while backup up and restoring a image, just fit the new HD and do a fresh install. Buy a external 2.5" enclosure for the smaller HD- comes in handy.

Upholder

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply. How will the laptop boot up if the new HDD is empty? Will I need to make some kind of DVD boot up disc?

Basically... you can boot from the Norton Ghost disk. You then browse to the "image" you created on your Ext HDD and it will "restore" to your new Int Hdd..

mjhorswood

Novice Member
I would recommend using Acronis True Image instead of Norton Ghost it basically does the same thing - but it's cheaper :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom