Copying audio from cassette tape?

WarHog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a way of digitising an old audio cassette please?

I have a cassette tape with an old recording of a radio interview of a long lost relative, which I would like to digitise and have stored on my 2021 M1 MacBook.
As well as buying a cassette player, what other leads & software etc will I need.
My MacBook has limited ports (2 x usb, 1 x headphone?) but is it just a matter of connecting a lead from the cassette player headphone socket to my MacBook?
Is doing this straight forward?

Thanks.

I'm not a mac user but assuming things are pretty much as they are on Windows, then yes, a cable from preferably a LINE output on the cassette machine into an input on the computer should do it. But the main thing to watch for is the level. If the computer has only got a microphone input, the levels coming from a line output may be too high and will then distort. Use of a headphone outlet is also possible but keep the volume a long way down to start with.

Software: Audacity Home Is a fairly advanced free audio recorder/editor so you can post-edit the file eg to crop it, denoise (if necessary) and so on. Being fairly advanced means (inevitably) that there is a learning curve.....

There are Cassette to MP3 converters which are relatively inexpensive - around £20-25 - available which should be fine for what you want to do. A quick google check will point you in the right direction.

There are Cassette to MP3 converters which are relatively inexpensive - around £20-25 - available which should be fine for what you want to do. A quick google check will point you in the right direction.
They're just poor quality tape players with a USB soundcard built in.

The headphone socket on your macbook is an output socket, not an input.

The headphone socket on your macbook is an output socket, not an input.
Are you sure it's not a combined headphone/mic socket ? You'll need an adapter to plug in a normal mic lead if it is.

You are much better off either getting someone with the proper capability to do it for you (if you know anyone) or paying a professional service to get it done properly. There are plenty of places that will do it for you for around £20 per cassette.

Buying poor quality equipment and trying to set up your own process is not the way to go for a one off conversion.

I think that the OP is sat back laughing while you lot have a debate on how best to answer his question. No he's not gone he was viewing the forums this morning.

Hehe, I think that happens a fair amount to be honest. Techies just love talking techie things, and its a good way to source information for anyone else who may be 'listening in' with an ear for knowledge.

I have some language tapes which I would like to transfer into something more flexible/permanent. I thought I had a sound system with a tape player and a USB slot but I have not. Would buying one that had both (they are rare) be an answer? I saw this Amazon product ASIN B07WK7G8LNSeems to have both so would this work?

or this which perhaps records and the other perhaps doeesn't?
Amazon product ASIN B07PF6QFGQ

Last edited:
How many language tapes? There are people that will do this for you and if your not doing a considerable number I don't think buying a system for a few uses is that cost effective

How many language tapes? There are people that will do this for you and if your not doing a considerable number I don't think buying a system for a few uses is that cost effective
Thank you jimscreechy - About 24 - I am in Cornwall and people who do things are few and far between.

I have some language tapes which I would like to transfer into something more flexible/permanent. I thought I had a sound system with a tape player and a USB slot but I have not. Would buying one that had both (they are rare) be an answer? I saw this Amazon product ASIN B07WK7G8LNSeems to have both so would this work?

or this which perhaps records and the other perhaps doeesn't?
Amazon product ASIN B07PF6QFGQ

If you have a sound system with a tape player then just buy a USB soundcard for your computer, it's much cheaper.

These are very cheap and reasonable quality options, if you can find either of them used on Ebay - where there are several - or Facebook Marketplace. I have used the larger of the two to transfer music from a cassette to an sd card, and the quality is excellent, so I should imagine that they will be good for speech!

Attachments

• Cassette Recorder 2.jpg
    Cassette Recorder 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Cassette Recorder.jpg
    Cassette Recorder.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 29

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom