• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Copying and playing Humax recordings from Fresat on other TVs

dcoles

Standard Member
Humax Foxsat PVR - copying and playing files.

I have a Humax Foxsat 1TB PVR connected to my main TV. I also have two other HD TVs elsewhere in the house (Bedroom and kitchen). What is the best way to copy files from the Humax unit so that I can play them on the other TVs without unplugging the Humax unit and carryiing it through to the other room. (both Toshibas with HDMI, Scart and USB slots). I can't use cable runs because walls are very thick.
I assume I will need some sort of player but does anyone know of one I can copy to direct from the Humax unit or alternatively transfer to and play files from the Humax using a USB memory stick?

REPASSAC

Prominent Member
Lots of possibilities - depends on what the TV's can themselves play.
USB, Custom firmware are both options.
I would suggest trying USB first to determine if the TV understands the .ts files.
If not a media player would be good.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

jlearmonth

Established Member
I have a PC with Servio media server loaded.
It will serve up the TS files but my Sony won't play them.
I had to convert them to a different format.
However my Raspberry PI/XBMC will play them OK.
So perhaps you TV might play them from Serviio.
JL

dcoles

Standard Member
Many Thanks

Looks like the Xentia might be more reliable (and cheap) and great if it's quite portable - did you copy the files onto a USB from a HUMAX PVR?

zekepliskin

Established Member
A software modified Xbox 1 running XBMC will play SD files that are TS from the Foxsat-HDR, streamed over the network. Not the easiest method these days, but considering they can be picked up for as low as £1 from car boot sales and the softmod only takes an hour or so to do very, very cost effective!

logiciel

*****dcoles****** if you tell people which one of several Humax freesat boxes you have, we can better guide you--The freesat box I have, what you want to do is easy to achieve

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Many Thanks

Looks like the Xentia might be more reliable (and cheap) and great if it's quite portable - did you copy the files onto a USB from a HUMAX PVR?

I used the Custom Firmware to ftp them directly to a PC. Edited out any ads using Videoredo TVsuite. Without the CF you will need a usb drive formatted EXT3 if you have recordings larger than 4GB.

zekepliskin

Established Member
C series and above Samsung TVs should play standard def and high def content copied from the Foxsat-HDR in one way or another to a USB2 HDD or similar. Mine plays the 1080i HD TS files made by the box with no editing or remuxing whatsoever, I just copy them,to a portable USB2 HDD via FTP when the drive is hooked into a PC (seems a tad faster than doing it on the Foxsat-HDR itself) and plug them into the TV's own USB2 slot and off it goes.

dcoles

Standard Member
Thanks guys for all the advice.

I bought a small media player and found an unused 1TB Toshiba portable drive that I'd forgotten I had (Doh!). I reformatted the drive to EXT2 from an old laptop running Ubuntu (had options for formatting as Fat32, EXT2 or EXT4 but not EXT3). However, when I plug the reformatted external HDD into the Humax PVR the file manager says it can't read it because it's not formatted in either FAT16/32 or EXT3.

I thought EXT2 and EXT3 were more or less identical for this purpose. Does anyone have any ideas?

David

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks guys for all the advice.

I bought a small media player and found an unused 1TB Toshiba portable drive that I'd forgotten I had (Doh!). I reformatted the drive to EXT2 from an old laptop running Ubuntu (had options for formatting as Fat32, EXT2 or EXT4 but not EXT3). However, when I plug the reformatted external HDD into the Humax PVR the file manager says it can't read it because it's not formatted in either FAT16/32 or EXT3.

I thought EXT2 and EXT3 were more or less identical for this purpose. Does anyone have any ideas?

David

EXT2 apparently only works on usb sticks. A HDD has to be EXT3.

Easeus partition manager will format the drive EXT3 using windows

Free Partition Magic alternative. Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 32 bit & 64 bit - EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.

EXT2FS will allow windows to access the drive.

Ext2Fsd Project » Downloads

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom