Question Copy video from a camcorder

jame58rown

Novice Member
Reaction score
I Have a Canon Camcorder that takes digital tape. but I have no leads for it. I have around 20 of these tapes to copy. What do I need to get the video from the tape player to my Macbook. DV out on the camcorder is HDMI and another odd shaped connection. I know that on a Macbook the HDMI is out only.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 43
  • camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 42
The odd shaped connection is a firewire connection. To transfer the content in full quality you need a computer with a firewire port. You may be able to use a games recorder with a hdmi input to digitally capture the content.

Hauppauge: HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

Thanks, Don't think a Macbook has a Firewire port. A Thunderbolt port. Maybe there is an adapter from that little camera firewire to thunderport. Would that do it?

Thanks, Don't think a Macbook has a Firewire port. A Thunderbolt port. Maybe there is an adapter from that little camera firewire to thunderport. Would that do it?

No good I'm afraid. Firewire (IEEE1394) is very rare on laptops, you would need a desktop and a IEEE1394 card.

IEEE 1394 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thunderbolt (interface) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get USB to firewire adaptors but they aren't suitable for DV video capture.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom