Copy Sky+ To Toshiba Rdxs34

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Foot, Oct 23, 2005.

1. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone done this and can they tell me the best way.

If I explain my set-up.

Panny TV connected to scart switch box then SKY+ to scart C, VCR to scart B and TOSH DVDR to A.

I followed instructions in SKY booklet and then set TOSH to record. On switch box I had record button C to A down and input on Tosh as AV2.

Got a blank recording. Then tried input on Tosh as AV1 and whilst recording I seemed to get a double picture of what was recording as though it was coming from SKY+ and able to see it thru Tosh at same time. Anyway checked recording thinking it would have double pictures on it but it seems fine.

But...is this the best way to go. Or should I have SKY+ box connected directly to AV2 on Tosh and then select input AV2 again? Just tried this and I have a blank picture again. Any advice as best way to go please!!

2. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody must be able to help?

3. narke

narke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't have Sky+ but when I got my XS34 and connected it up to my scart switching box (Quattro4) I couldn't get it to record from Sky. I had done a straight swap for the VCR which had always worked perfectly.
    I tried all sorts of combinations but it would not record via the Quattro. I then connected the Sky TV scart to AV2 on the Toshiba (set to RGB) and the AV1 on the Toshiba (set to RGB) to the Quattro and it records without any problems. To watch Sky, I simply use the SATMONI button which works if the Tosh is on, or in standby. I don't have the VCR in the setup now so I don't know if it would have worked with my current configuration.

4. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky + and XS34 and old Panny CRT. No problems with recording at all!
    I only have 2 Scart inputs on the TV which makes the Tosh the perfect partner.
    Sky+ out (TV) to input on XS34 out of XS34 to TV all RGB!!

Sky+ output VCR to Panasonic SVHS VCR out of VCR to 2nd SCART on TV.

Sorted.

What is the problem?

You must remember to leave the output of the Sky box in RGB when recording or you will get sound and no picture.

This is easier to mess up than you might think. If all is set to RGB and you happen to press "TV" on the Sky remote the output drops RGB and goes to PAL. This will cause the DVDR to stop recording pictures.

If you need TV control back make sure that when you press TV on the Sky remote you cover up the emitter or else use another remote .

AB-P

5. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ABP. Went down that route when I first got XS34 but found that the SATMON button was such a pain. Don't kn ow about your Panny TV but when I switch it on it always goes to terrestrial TV not to SKY. Panasonic said that you couldn't do iy with this model that I have!!

So this meant that to get it to switch to SKY I had to make sure the SATMON was off first before switching TV on otherwise it wouldn't switch.
    This was a pain trying to explain to the whole family especially if it had been left on SATMON from the night before. They would then have to put the TOSH back into standby then turn it on again(which takes a while) then put SATMON on again.

So I went back to my switchbox and connected them up (as per my first thread).Now at least all I have to do if I want to use TOSH is just select button A. Most of the time it's SKY so C stays down.

Besides as you say you are just recording from SKY. I am trying to record from stuff saved on SKY+ to TOSH.

6. blacksnow

blacksnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I set it up is to connect the video out from the Sky+ to the AV2 of the Toshiba & then in Toshiba settings change input for AV2 to video, rather than RGB. I know there is a reduction in quality doing it this way, but it's pretty easy & I only have the Tosh connected to the Sky+ on the rare occasions when I want to archive from Sky+. Usually my Toshiba is in a different room & any material that I know will be archived is recorded straight onto it using RGB.

7. Paul_Lee

Paul_Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Sky+ box and have the following set-up:

RDXS-34 connected to Sky+ and TV
    Sky+ connected to TV and RDXS-34

all this is via scart, my TV having only two of them. My plan is to record material from Sky+ to the HDD and then to DVD. However, a test
    recording shows a degradation in picture quality when going from Sky+ -> RDXS34. Is there a way round this problem? I note that the DVD Recorder has front sockets for video and L/R audio, but I'd prefer not to use these if possible as I'd like to copy stuff from my VCR to the DVD.

Thanks!

Paul

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,526
    The best quality will be when you output from the scart labelled TV on the Sky+ box as this is the only one that outputs RGB.