copy protection probs, ben harper-both sides of the gun

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by BIGRED, Mar 26, 2006.

1. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i just got this through the post at the weekend and have been listening to it loads , just came up against a problem, i was going to transfer it to my sony mp3 player to listen to and it says that it is copy protected ....... does any one know of any way to get it on to my mp3 player ??? cheers in advance

2. JimDav

JimDav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a copy protected disc once & looked up the solution on the 'net.
    There is a data track on these discs which does not affect normal cd players, but a PC will see this first and won't be able to use the disc properly. The one I got had a 'player' program on it which enabled you to listen on your PC, but not do anything else.

Look carefully at the outer edge of the playing surface of the disc and you should be able to make out a seperate 'track'. This is where the data track is.
    This might sound daft, but, simply use a fine-tipped, black, non-permanent marker to colour over this track so it can't be seen by the PC. It takes a bit of care to do it right, and you should be able to access the disc as normal.
    (It worked for me)

nb All this assumes your disc has the same anti-copy system as mine. There are probably others around.

3. Daniel SL

Daniel SL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    a program called cdex will rip your cd to mp3. it deals with the copyright protection well.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    With some copy protected discs, if you hold down the shift key before inserting the disc, for say 30 seconds (or when the disc stops whirring...), this disables auto-start-up and you can rip with your chosen software.