1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy protection causing crackling Help

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by JSW, Dec 2, 2003.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I got a cd last week and virtually every track has crackling sounds throughout every few seconds. Its that bad i got cdwow to send a replacement but thats the same :( this cd has copy protection.

Just got Alicia Keys - The diary of Alicia Keys and it has the same copy protection and the same horrendous crackling every few seconds.

I haven't had problems in the past with cd's and copy protection and the only thing thats changed in my setup lately is getting an AX5i, could this be the problem?

My wife tried the cd upstairs on her pc and didn't hear the offending crackling sounds ?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers
    Bry

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help on the troubleshooting front, but I'd return any CD that didn't play as expected due to copy protection.

If it doesn't stop studios from removing it altogether, maybe massive returns will at least get them to use something that works properly.

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I played them on my htpc which is also connected to the AX5i and no problems there so my phillips 963sa must not like the copy protection used.

The copy protection is a farce anyway as both cd's have been ripped into .ape without a problem.

When you insert the cd windows asks for files to be copied in order to be able to play the cd, i didnt and cancelled that and they play ok?

I think I will burn copies later and see if they play ok on the phillips, i assume they will as the copies wont have the copy protection?

Cheers

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds like the brain-dead SunComm (or whatever it's called) protection scheme that gets bypassed if you disable autorun or hold the shift key down when inserting the CD.

They won't be any protection on any CDs you burn from the rips ... no idea why one player has problems but then I don't know the tech. details as what changes are made to make the audio allegedly un-copyable.

I agree with Azrikan, the only way to overcome this is boycott any CDs with protection .. if people continue to buy them they only have themselves to blame when every CD released is infected by DRM.

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've got a few problems with Pet Shop Boys "Pop Art" playing with some clicks and pops on my CD player.

Only Copy Control title to have given me any problems (don't rip, or use my PC for playback)

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I reckon its your soundcard mate.

I had the same problem, i rolled back my drivers and it was fine.

Try doing that.

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon it's your CDRW-capable drive. Use any old read-only drive and it will probably be fine. It's not going to be your sound card unless CD's that used to play OK are doing it too, because the sound card's not involved in reading the CD. But it might be the software that's reading/ripping the CD.

These CD's are "not copy protected", but you have to be smart enough to have a second drive in your PC to copy it without clicks. I have this problem with a Philips CDD5101 DVD/CDRW drive. I think it's an anti casual copying thing targetted at people who just have an off-the shelf PC with CD writer. Don't know which drives are affected, but mine certainly is. I read the CDto disk on an old machine, and copy it acrross the network to put on my iPod.

Very tedious.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I tried mp3ing a album with copy protection (after holdnig down shift to stop god knows what get installed) but after ripping and a test playback the music had the crackling sounds as mentioned above.

Anyone know a way to rip cp albums for use in my portable? I was using musicmatch to rip the cd.!

Cheers

Matt