1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy protected CDs

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by LostInUK, Mar 13, 2005.

1. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am very undecided between buying a CDT20R T2L or a DVD32FLR for my system. Apart from the resulting sound differences between both models (are my ears that good???) , my major concern is about the capability of playing copy protected CDs without dropouts and other strange irritating noises. At the moment, my DVD player is not capable of playing any of the remastered copy protected CDs I have, without spoiling my experience. :mad: I have a friend with a different DVD player (Rotel) which plays them no problem.

I would like to enquire if any of you has experience in playing CP CDs with either machine and what the results are. :lease:
    They have completely different transport systems. Is the old Philips more copy protected CD proof or is it the opposite?

I would prefer to get the CDT20R just because I would like to buy a separate DVD player with HDMI interlaced output to connect to the video scaler. Does any of you have an opinion about that? Worth it, not worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Pedro

2. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ola Pedro,
    CDT is a CD transport and afaik it plays them all.

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pedro

I usually take/send any CDs back that have this copy protection on them, however a couple have slipped through the net :oops: (Thrills, Let It Be Naked, Paddy McAloon, Ben Kweller) and I can confirm that they all play on both my CDT20-T2L AND DVD32FLR with no problems or apparent drop-outs :thumbsup:

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Pedro.
    There isn't a CD made that can't be copied onto a fresh CD blank minus the copy protection, so it is a non issue. The DVD32R (mk2) plays the lot, I've tried them all.......So the FLR will also presently (never say never).

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Exactly! There are various freeware on the net and you can always record them via the analogue outputs. Need to get them onto my iPod somehow :D

6. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

thanks for you help. I understand and knew one can re-write them without the cp, but having payed for the actual disc makes me feel that I should be able to listen to them some how.

If I could be certain the CDT20R is capable of that, I would by one. I would prefer to invest the rest of the money in some other kit.

it seems that so far all of you have no problems. So, if nobody reports any complaint for the next days, I will go for one of them.

Thanks again.

regards
    Pedro

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try a CD copy protected by the infamous Cactus Datashield CDS100 as that gets the DVD32 confused (and my Sony car CD player, an old Toshiba DVD and Pioneer 656 thang!). Luckily very few CD's ever got produced with this half-baked scheme and has now been superceeded. The initial German release of HIM "Razorblade romance" was cursed with this copy protection.

The Cactus datashield CDS200 has the problem of that the first track wouldn't play, but if you then skipped to track 2 then went back to track 1 it would then play the disc fine. A batch of Natalie Imbruglia "White Lilies Island" went out, but eventually the record company were swapping out discs with unprotected versions due to incompatibility problems.

All the copy protected CD's that I've had in the last three or so years have had decent compatibility and bizarely can be easily copied on my PC... go figure!

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yes, I should clarify that we had one disk that played track 2 first and then had to manually be sent back to play track one but hey it did play......
    As for copy protection generally it is a complete nonsense as it only hinders the honest...... Just wait until that new macrovision copy protection system for DVD's hits the shelves...... :eek:

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Sony has a new protection system on their latest DVDs (eg: Resident Evil 2) called ARCCOS that crahes DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter so I have been reliably informed

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Is that a movie? If so I'll start counting the days until DVDDecrypter has an update...... :devil: If it is the new Macrovision thing then it might take a bit longer as that is pretty nasty....

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    In fact I've just seen an article on the Kaleidescape DVD jukebox thing (bloody expensive) and the DVD-CCA who are insisting that their system be re-designed to demand the user insert the physical DVD when playing a movie that has been copied to the systems hard drive. Kaleidescape argue there is nothing in their licence that insists they do this as it would render the product pointless..... :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

I'll be watching that one with much interest.....

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Resident Evil 2 is called something but I can't remember what :oops: Is it a movie? Well that depends on you but if it is anything like the first one... :D

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    My Boy thinks its a Playstation game :rotfl: :rotfl:

14. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse

Starring: Milla Jovovich

Spoiler (don't think you'll be watching this anyway):
    Everybody turns into zombies except for our heroin and her ex-boyfriend who's already turned into some kind of doomsday war robot/being/thingy. And of course her side kicks survives the final nuclear blast in the closed city (have to get rid of all the unhealthy deads walking around, you know). But then there's a final twist...

So, is it a movie? Well, it does have some good blacks if you have a CRT... :hiya:

Cheers
    /Bogi

15. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ARCCOS sticks bad sectors on the disc which can cause some DVD drive firmware to get very annoyed when it trys to copy from (or skip over) that area. Already custom .PST files are floating around the web for various movies that helps get over this hurdle...

16. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Guys, IMO ARRCOS has been defeated by Plextor, with its newest DVD burners, they read the ARRCOS'd sector rubbish without a hitch and DVDdecrypter allows anyone to duplicate the ARRCOS's discs without any difficulty, this is especially easy now that Verbatim are making reliable double layer blanks which burn at 4x. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes!

Stevesky, the .PST files are no longer needed by the newer versions of DVDdecrypter.

Also ANY copy protected CD can copied easily with a Plextor Premium CD burner and Plextor's own Plextools Professional.

:oops: didn't mean to sound like an advert of Plextor :rolleyes:

17. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I heard it was very drive dependant as some DVD drive firmware will refuse to skip over some of these bad sectors. Case of avoid the bad sectors in the first place or expect a very slow rip as the copy software resets the drive and trys again avoiding that area!.

Nice to know the boys at Plextor have delivered the goods as usual :D

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Why do you think we professional digital editor and playout system people spec Plextors ;) ;) Not the cheapest but.......