Copy Problems - A Conspiracy or Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bryce Curdy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are all the issues with copying a deliberate attempt by Sky to prevent their customers copying Lost and 24 for their friends who subscribe to Virgin?

Neil Watson first suggested this as a possibility on the thread on page 2 of this forum about the aspect ratio changing to letterboxed 4:3 when using the copy function. I was intrigued but not convinced at first but having read the thread about the issue with copying from Anytime am now beginning to believe he could be right. I note that one person could copy Inside Man but not Lost.

Sky have also still to reply to my email asking them why they have changed the aspect ratio.

Just because I'm paranoid.....

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Since you don't need the COPY function to record a programme to an offboard recorder I can't see how it could be a deliberate attempt to annoy people.
    More likely with SKY's history just another bug created by attempts to fix other problems or poor testing with new functions which sit side by side with the long standing (pre VM issue) copy protection flag with some DVDr's and back from 2001 the macrovision flag being triggered.

3. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it from what you're saying that if you simply play normally and record on the offboard recorder this will work. Anyone know what happens to the aspect ratio if you record this way?

4. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Starburst,
    it could well be just Sky being Sky in terms of bugs but as Bryce alludes to Anytime functionality does appear to be copy protected for SOME content not all. Here's what I posted on the "Copy Option missing thread"

Whilst I'm not into possible conspiracy theories :D when you combine this with the copy option messing about with the aspect ratio it could be seen to be stopping all avenues for certain programs that were on Skyone being duplicated to DVD.

However, they haven't stopped content from the std Skyone/SkyOneHD channels being recorded as its played out......yet :D

5. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil - do you have to record 'live' or can you record from the planner just playing normally rather than copying?

6. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Right just to clear things up....hopefully :D

In terms of recording to an external device whilst you just watch or play a program

1) Recording to external device is fine from any non box office channel. E.g. I can record Lost on SkyoneHD as it is broadcast
    2) Recording to external device is fine from the planner if it was a regular channel E.g. I can record Lost on DVD from my planner that I recorded from SkyoneHD.
    3) Recording to external device is fine from anytime for certain programs. E.g. I can record the film Inside Man from Anytime as it is plays out, but lost which is also listed in Anytime menu causes my DVD player to put up copy protected message.
    4) Recording to external device is fine from my planner for Some anytime for certain programs. E.g. I can record the film Inside Man from Anytime to my planner and then play that film out and record it to DVD, but lost which is also listed in Anytime menu whilst it can be copied to my planner it causes my DVD player to put up copy protected message when I try and record it to DVD when I play it from my planner

In terms of the Copy option within my sky planner i.e. not the record option in Anytime which just transfers/duplicates programs to your planner

1) Non Anytime programs have the Copy option (red button bottom left) available when the program is highlighted in my planner
    2) Anytime programs that have been recorded to my planner DO NOT have the Copy option (red button bottom left) available when the program is highlighted in my planner.

Therefore I cannot record anytime content from my planner using the copy function. I can only record anytime content as it plays out from either anytime or when transferred to my planner and played out and its not copy protected.

3) If you do use the copy option in your planner it suffers from letterboxing of widescreen content within a 4:3 frame. i.e. severe loss of quality.

Hope that covers all scenarios - let me know if I've missed anything :)

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Yeah I can see how the notion of SKY applying copy protection (RGB scart only?) to prevent the use of a DVDr but not a PC or VHS came about especially as this has been happening for a good long mostly on Ch4 and Discovery.

I still favour the software flag incorrectly triggered since you can still record the output one way or another but that's not to say I am right since obviously the whole point of HDCP is to prevent copying of content at the highest quality which atm is RGB scart so contractual restrictions may apply.

The lack of COPY on Anytime progs moved to the planner is perhaps simply a missing function because the idea of moving them was not a priority to SKY and it's very easy to believe SKY don't think the same way the consumers do.

8. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a very useful summary Neil. It does leave one question unanswered:

What is the point of the Copy function?

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    It simplifies the task of copying things to dvd/tape, as you can select multiple items from the planner, and then it will output them all sequentially without any further manual intervention from you. (providing of course your dvd/tape has enough room for all the items)

10. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    It wasn't though as other managed to use the copy function (for "The Fog" I recall) when it was 1st available on Anytime. That implies it was available and has now been removed? The plot thickens :rotfl:

11. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    At least this explains Windows Media Center throwing up a "protected content" message when I tried to do Lost off Anytime. Grr, I kinda hoped it was a freak error.