Copy of Lens

sachin

Standard Member
Hi all,

I've been reading about people buying lenses and then returning them for the same lens again because the 'copy' they returned was not producing good enough pictures. What is all this about and how do you check?

Thanks,

Sachin

I had that with my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC. Something wasn't quite right, the pictures looks actually very good, very sharp. So what is the problem ;-) The problem was they weren't the pictures I intended, the focus system did not play nicely with my camera. It varied, from a few inches behind when focusing on the left, to several foot behind when focussing on the right. I really doubted my ability but the shop concurred and was able to replicate. We then tried another and it had the same problem. I got the phone call today that a new one has arrived and if that does it again I or another flaw I am seriously giving up on Tamron...

This experience is enough for me to not really want to buy online, unless there is a very good returns process. Quality control is just not always what you expect it to be...

RobDickinson

Cameras and lenses are made within certain tolerances that sometimes line up to produce sub optimal results.

You cant make them within tolerances that prevent this, not affordably (would have to be more expensive than laboratory optical equipment!)

Checkout lensrental.com articles this lens is soft and other issues.

RobDickinson

No not so common. Most lenses work fine with most bodies.

IMO the main parties (canon, nikon, zeiss) tend to make their lenses to within tighter tolerances and understand the mount better than 3rd party makers. So much so that lensrental.com dont take any sigma lenses on the first production run any more.

nikonuser11

A 'copy' is simply that, exactly the same way as your panny tv is a 'copy' of all the other same model panny tv's, some work some have issues, it's just togs that call the lens products copies:rolleyes:

I'll be donning my Armani suit copy today and driving my BMW Z4 copy to the golf course this weekend to play with my Mizuno copy tour blades:rotfl:

dave_bass5

I actually prefer to buy on line as your better covered.
While you can try out a lens in the shop you might not encounter any issues until you shoot a certain scene (i had this with Jessops a few years ago). Trying to convince a shop that its a faulty lens when they cant reproduce it can be a pain. Buying on line gives you at least 7 days (a month with Amazon) to try it out while being under no obligation to keep it.

I actually prefer to buy on line as your better covered.
While you can try out a lens in the shop you might not encounter any issues until you shoot a certain scene (i had this with Jessops a few years ago). Trying to convince a shop that its a faulty lens when they cant reproduce it can be a pain. Buying on line gives you at least 7 days (a month with Amazon) to try it out while being under no obligation to keep it.
Which is a valid point indeed, although in my case where I wasn't convinced which way it was and it wasn't until the second week it may not have worked. And then remotely convincing someone could be hard opposed to demonstrating it in the shop.

But I guess there is no right answer to it, depends on ones own comfort zone as well and the expertise of who you are dealing with in the shop.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom