Copy of DVD to Disc on computer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pauliepie, Dec 6, 2004.

1. pauliepie

pauliepie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dvd disc which has our recent wedding on which took place in Cyprus in October.
    I have a pc with a cd rewriter but I would like to copy a few discs to give to my family for wedding presents.
    Can anyody tell me what I need to do/ software I need to buy to burn the dvd and approx costs.

Many thanks
    paul :thumbsup:

2. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your budget can stretch to buying a DVD writer/rewriter there are a couple of programs you can use.

DVD Shrink is freeware and will rip your DVD. You will require a burning program such as Nero.

Alternatively, you could use DVD Decrypter which I believe is also freeware. It has it own built in burning program.

Just look for either of those programs on Google.

If you are stuck with your CD burner, you will need a program to convert your DVD to VCD. Remember a CD can only hold about 700Mb max compared to 4.7 Gb for a DVD. Quality on the VCD will not be anywhere near as good a DVD quality.

3. Dan Baker

Dan Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    If you do decide to purchase a DVD writer I reccently bought the Pioneer DVR-108 it can be had on here for £54.04 plus delivery. Be sure to update the firmware by going to the manufactuers website though as it make the hardware more compatible with different types of media.

Be sure to buy deccent DVDR's I've used Traxdata and Riteks with no coasters to date.

http://www.afterdawn.com Have lots of advise on authoring DVD's. But like Bob said DVD shrink will copy a DVD no problem for you. Nero 6.6 can be used if you want to start messing about with menus and things.

4. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A wedding video DVD is not likely to be dual-layer, and not likely to be encrypted (like a commercial film DVD). Therefore it is very unlikely to need either "shrink" or "rip" software. On a PC, you should just be able to copy it using DVD writing software such as Nero, using any single-layer DVD writer drive.

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst that's true, the 2 programs referred to have the added advantage of being free! :clap: The power of the 2 together is awesome...

Simon

6. pauliepie

pauliepie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can i copy the dvd video from my cd rewriter using Nero with a cd-r disc?

7. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    You can't copy a DVD from a CD drive if that DVD is on a DVD disc, for this you need to have a DVD drive to read it (just the same as a hifi CD player can't play DVDs)