Copy HDR-FOX T2 recordings to FOXSAT-HDR ?

dj51

Standard Member
I've been using an HDR-FOX T2 for some time but I've just moved house and can now only get freeview from a relay transmitter. So, I've just bought a FOXSAT-HDR to give me back the missing channels.

I had assumed (foolishly perhaps) that I would be able to copy across all of my SD recordings to the FOXSAT-HDR via a USB disk. Sadly, the FOXSAT-HDR doesn't recognise them. Is there a way round this?

Also, I was disappointed to find that the FOXSAT-HDR doesn't see my NAS media server, the way the HDR-FOX T2 does.

The lack of ability to copy, though irritating, is a temporary issue which will go away once I've watched all the old stuff. However the lack of NAS media server support will be an ongoing pain.

Has anyone got round these issues? And does anyone know whether Humax are planning on implementing the HDR-FOX T2 media server functionality on the FOXSAT-HDR any time soon?

dj51

Standard Member
Thanks REPASSAC, I did see this -- it looks very interesting and I may try it sometime. However, from my reading of the details, it doesn't do what I want at the moment. Maybe I've got it wrong (and I really hope I have!!), but this is what I was hoping to do........

The HDR-FOX T2 allows me to play video in various formats directly from my DLink NAS media server. You just press the "media" button (same as the Foxsat-HDR) then choose from internal disk, USB, or external media server. Great stuff -- except that the Foxsat-HDR doesn't do the same.

Also the HDR-FOX T2 allows me to play different video formats, and not just those recorded on the device. Again -- great stuff -- except that the Foxsat-HDR doesn't do the same.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
The HDR-FOX T2 allows me to play video in various formats directly from my DLink NAS media server. -- Foxsat-HDR doesn't do the same.

HDR-FOX T2 allows me to play different video formats, -- Foxsat-HDR doesn't do the same.
1. Not supported, most likely won't be.

2. It doesn't, video needs to be converted using AV2HDR.

dj51

Standard Member
Thanks kevkbuk! I didn't know about Raydon's AV2HDR. Sounds like it may be just the thing for moving recordings from the Humax freeview box to the Foxsat HDR. Also the files are already in .TS format -- so I *may* not need to use Super c first.

In fact, each recording from the HDR FOX T2 has 3 files -- a TS file, an NTS file and a THM file (rather than the Foxsat HDR's HMT file). Renaming the THM file to HMT doesn't work, so Humax must have done things *slightly* differently on the 2 boxes.

Sadly though, the loss of ability to play from my existing media server is going to be hard to come to terms with. Looks like I will have to keep the HDR FOX T2 on the shelf as well as the Foxsat HDR that I thought would replace it.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks kevkbuk! I didn't know about Raydon's AV2HDR. Sounds like it may be just the thing for moving recordings from the Humax freeview box to the Foxsat HDR. Also the files are already in .TS format -- so I *may* not need to use Super c first.

In fact, each recording from the HDR FOX T2 has 3 files -- a TS file, an NTS file and a THM file (rather than the Foxsat HDR's HMT file). Renaming the THM file to HMT doesn't work, so Humax must have done things *slightly* differently on the 2 boxes.

Sadly though, the loss of ability to play from my existing media server is going to be hard to come to terms with. Looks like I will have to keep the HDR FOX T2 on the shelf as well as the Foxsat HDR that I thought would replace it.
The .thm file contains the chapter thumbnails. Both boxes have the 4 files. The HDR FOX T2 .hmt can be edited by Foxy to persuade the box to decrypt HD recordings when copying to usb.

raydon

As Graham has already stated, the HDR Fox T2 does create .TS, .HMT, and .NTS files similar to those on the Foxsat HDR, as well as an additional .THM thumbnail file. AV2HDR will process the TS file from the HDR Fox T2 but the AAC audio stream will be incorrectly interpreted and flagged as MPEG, so playback will be video only. The Foxsat HDR does not support AAC audio streams so you will need to convert the audio stream at least to MPEG1 layer 2 or Dolby AC3 prior to running it through AV2HDR.

Last edited:

dj51

Standard Member
Hmm... Looks like a slightly more involved job than I hoped for. At least it *is* possible to copy video to the Foxsat-HDR. Many thanks to Raydon for AV2HDR and to everyone who replied for the informative and useful advice.

Masteriser

Novice Member
Hmm... Looks like a slightly more involved job than I hoped for. At least it *is* possible to copy video to the Foxsat-HDR. Many thanks to Raydon for AV2HDR and to everyone who replied for the informative and useful advice.
Actually it is not more involved than you thought as long as all you want to do is make up the sidecar files needed for SD recordings. The AAC soundtrack problems mentioned by Rayvon above only apply to HD recordings (which I assume are all encoded on the T2 so are going to be tricky to play anyway). I have assumed all of this based on the following comment in your original post:
I had assumed (foolishly perhaps) that I would be able to copy across all of my SD recordings to the FOXSAT-HDR via a USB disk. Sadly, the FOXSAT-HDR doesn't recognise them. Is there a way round this?
If this is all you want to do it is pretty simple. Download and launch AV2HDR. Pick up and drop the .ts file from the T2 onto the AV2HDR window which will then analyise it (might take a few seconds to do this) and a pop-up window will open, click OK on this pop-up window. Edit the programme title and channel data if you want to (not strictly necessary but it makes finding the transferred programmes slightly easier to find if you want to copy the recording to the FoxSat's hard disk). Then click "GO" on the AV2HDR window. A new .ts file will be generated along with the .nts and .hmt side-car files. Copy the three new files to a USB pen drive and all should be fine. AV2HDR should place the new files in the same folder as the original, to make things really easy you might want to place each T2 source file in its own folder on your desktop.

Rayvon, if you read this I would like to personally thank you for you hard work and excellent software.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom