Copy from Sky HD to DVD issues

carussell

Standard Member
I recently tried to archive a couple of episodes of House to my Pioneer DVD recorder as the SKY HD box was becoming full. To my surprise the Pioneer refused, displaying a message 'the content is copy protected' :rolleyes: I checked other recordings and they all copied quite happily including a couple of films off Sky Movies. This problem also crops up when trying to record Channel 5 off air as well. Most frustrating and possibly a sign of things to come? :(

CrispyToast

Novice Member
carussell said:
I recently tried to archive a couple of episodes of House to my Pioneer DVD recorder as the SKY HD box was becoming full. To my surprise the Pioneer refused, displaying a message 'the content is copy protected' :rolleyes: I checked other recordings and they all copied quite happily including a couple of films off Sky Movies. This problem also crops up when trying to record Channel 5 off air as well. Most frustrating and possibly a sign of things to come? :(

This should only happen if your using a HDMI connection as that's what it is designed for, to stop the copying of HD material. It may work using the component output, but should only record at SD resolutions unless you have a HD recorder.
No idea why 5 won't record.

carussell

Standard Member
The DVD recorder is connected to the HD box by scart with my plasma using the component feed so HDMI is not involved. I didn't encounter this problem with my Sky+ box which used the same scart lead to the recorder. :confused:

poggs

carussell said:
The DVD recorder is connected to the HD box by scart with my plasma using the component feed so HDMI is not involved. I didn't encounter this problem with my Sky+ box which used the same scart lead to the recorder. :confused:
Sounds like good old fashioned macrovision. It was only enabled on sky box office and a few other individual programmes on the old system. I'd guess that its also on the new HD feed.

Get a special scart lead that stablises the signal. *nudge wink* and you should be ok.

dunsters

Novice Member
I get this same problem with my panny - so I have to pull the HDMI out of the TV for the recording to work.:eek:

Try that and see if it fixes the issue - only prob is you cant see what you are doing on the record as the TV has had the HDMI pulled!!:rolleyes:

Cheers:hiya:

bs_lcd

Novice Member
I have a similar problem - i am using a Lite-On DVD recorder using Scart leads

I have multiroom with sky HD and Sky+

When I connect the DVD recorder to the SKY HD box - Ch4 and E4 programmes are recorded without any problems

But when I connect the DVD recorder to the SKY+ box - i get copy protection messages on Ch4 and E4

Very strange !!!

carussell

Standard Member
I'm beginning to think it can only be macrovision that is to blame but only Channel 5 seems to be blocked and I really can't be bothered to try and find out how many other channels are affected. I'm very close to pulling the plug on the whole system at the moment as I do a lot of recording and archive plenty to DVD for later viewing :mad: Sky+ worked like a dream but this has thrown a rather large spanner in the works :suicide:

carussell

Standard Member
I spoke at length to Sky early this morning and have made some progress :) The problem was also affecting C4 as well and this bit of information triggered some 'customer on hold' activity after which several over-the-air card updates happened. I'm now able to record from both C4 and Channel 5 although programmes sitting on the hard drive pre-update still refuse to copy :rolleyes: Still it's better than nothing

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom