copy DVDs

BobBob21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have now lost the last DVD to scratching that I ever want to.

Have decided to create copies of all my DVDs to enable me to use the copies in my Panasonic and Denon DVD players (neither support the compressed downloads very well - panasonic has no sound)

Nero wont copy them as they are copyrighted... what is the best way to do this to ensure maximum compatibility with DVD players (I am aware of the + - issues)

Any DVD and CloneDVD2 for me to back mine up and decent blank DVD's

Astaroth said:

Have decided to create copies of all my DVDs to enable me to use the copies in my Panasonic and Denon DVD players (neither support the compressed downloads very well - panasonic has no sound)

Nero wont copy them as they are copyrighted... what is the best way to do this to ensure maximum compatibility with DVD players (I am aware of the + - issues)

I use anydvd with DVD2one and burn with copytodvd. I always use Ritek branded disks and never had a problem with compatibility issues.

The programs I use aren't free, free ones to consider would be DVDfabdecrypter with DVDshrink. Use Nero (since you already have this) to burn them to disk.

Regards
Martin

Astaroth said:
I don't think I've ever scratched a DVD. What are you doing to cause this?

FazerThou said:

I use this combination to "archive" my DVD's too...;)

1 off payment for both and get free upgrades via automated downloads..:thumbsup:

Pat_C said:
I don't think I've ever scratched a DVD. What are you doing to cause this?
It's easily done. There was an article recently on just how easily. Only very few discs survived the tests they ran and some just had to be sneezed at to scratch. Deep scratches at the very least get the error correction working overtime, and if too deep shag the disc. Either way it was not a happy set of bunnies that reported back after the tests............:cool:

FazerThou said:
Ditto.

I use "DVD Shrink" then burn with Nero - no problem at all in backing-up any of my discs; I use the 'non-compression' setting and burn to 8.2GB dual-layer discs.

dvd shrink works very well and is simple to use.

If you already have full nero (with Recode) then you could buy anydvd or get a trial version if you want to try it and then all you have to do is open anydvd before nero and away you go!

Another thumbs up for DVD Shrink and Decrypter here.

Have even sorted out the dreaded Sony Red discs now !!!

DVD Decrypter, FixVTS, RipIt4Me & DVD Shrink 3.2 are all free programmes that make it very to simple to backup DVD's.

It is also just a few clicks of the mouse to use them once insatalled as RipIt4Me automates the process.

You must be doing something wrong to have a 100% failure rate of discs. I've got about 800 in my collection, and must have swopped/sold another 300 over time, and have had one go faulty, one faulty on delivery, and I've got T1 which has gone milky.

I don't know anything about the survey you mention, but in my experience, if you look after your discs they last OK.

Why not take a couple of faulties to a repair place and try that? Where I used to work we had a machine which repaired scratched discs, and we only ever had about 3 failures.

I agree about centres getting cracked, though. That's a bigger problem.

lostinspace said:
You must be doing something wrong to have a 100% failure rate of discs. I've got about 800 in my collection, and must have swopped/sold another 300 over time, and have had one go faulty, one faulty on delivery, and I've got T1 which has gone milky.

I don't know anything about the survey you mention, but in my experience, if you look after your discs they last OK.

Why not take a couple of faulties to a repair place and try that? Where I used to work we had a machine which repaired scratched discs, and we only ever had about 3 failures.

I agree about centres getting cracked, though. That's a bigger problem.
Sorry, did anyone say 100% failure? :confused: The test carried out was to see how many could stand the sort of wear and tear the average user gives them. Bear in mind that the vast majority (ie average) swallowed the whole 'indestructible' myth whole with CD, and now apply that to a medium that the tests show is in fact more susceptible to damage.

I agree totally that if you look after your discs, and in fact treat them like Vinyl, then they are fine. Most people however, and some of the crap I've bought second hand confirms this, treat them, with a contempt borne out of lies about CDs durability and, as it's a 'video medium', like VHS tapes. They ain't.

Of discs I've bought new only a very few have gone belly up, and as you say the centre cracking is a bigger problem. However, 2nd hand discs I normally back up before they do the DVD player repairable harm. Even ones claimed (as one I bought the other day was) to be in 'excellent condition'. If that's his idea of excellent, I'd hate to see what knackered looks like!:rolleyes:

Sorry, misread the OP. Whatever the failure rate, it's obviously high enough to :censored: him off.

There seems to be a lesson to be learned about buying second- hand though. With the prices of new, campaigned discs now coming so low even I can afford them, there seems little point in buying second- hand, unless it's something deleted etc. I've never bought second- hand, and probably never will.

P.S. What's an average user? I bet there aren't many of those on here!

lostinspace said:
Sorry, misread the OP. Whatever the failure rate, it's obviously high enough to :censored: him off.

There seems to be a lesson to be learned about buying second- hand though. With the prices of new, campaigned discs now coming so low even I can afford them, there seems little point in buying second- hand, unless it's something deleted etc. I've never bought second- hand, and probably never will.

P.S. What's an average user? I bet there aren't many of those on here!
I don't think there are on here. Most people who take hifi/AV seriously, just like people with any other 'interest', treat their gear with care. It's usually the 'child factor' or 'unenlightened' relative or friend that does the damage. However, since DVD is the biggest success ever in terms of a new medium, a lot of mr and mrs average (whoever, or whatever they may be!) must own a DVD player and discs. :D

I agree on buying software 2nd hand. I tend to avoid it if I can, as, since working in hifi, I've been a bit cautious of causing damage to digital players. As you say, with decent offers on the likes of Amazon and Play.com you don't need to go 2nd hand.

It's those two-disc special editions that are now deleted I tend to go for.

stevefish69 said:
Another thumbs up for DVD Shrink and Decrypter here.

Have even sorted out the dreaded Sony Red discs now !!!

whats up with the sony red discs?

havent been 'backing up' in ages so am a bit out of touch!

markymark34 said:
whats up with the sony red discs?

havent been 'backing up' in ages so am a bit out of touch!

http://www.sonydadc.com/products.copy.arccos.go

Basically a pain in the bum but can be done :devil:

Use Decrypter to put an ISO image of the disc on your hard drive.

Open this using DVD Shrink, and rip as normal

Burn to Disc using Decrypter as normal.

I've just about finished backing up 24 series 1-4 (24 discs in all :boring: )
Its taken me 2 days using decypter/shrink/nero.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom