1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy controlled cd

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by junk, Sep 11, 2003.

1. junk

junk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok don't flame me here I'm not file swapping or trading just trying to listen to somthing I've bought!!

I now have 3 copy protected cds that I have bought but most of my players spit them out (due to them playing mp3 files)
    can anyone help on how to rip these cds so I can actually lpay them on my players?
    I've tried isobuster but if seems randow as to how many audio tracks it can find on a disk, it never seems to find them all.
    helllpppppp!!!!!!!!!

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I certainly won't flame you.

In fact I'm interested in the answers.

My primary place for listening to CDs is on my PC whilst I work. Bugs the hell out of me when I can't listen to a new CD I've just bought.

:(

Cheers
    Marc

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using digital out from a CD player into a PC with a digital input, then record digitally onto a single WAV file; or split into different tracks.

That's what I had to do with Natalie Imbruglia White Lilies Island- the PC played back the poor quality MP3's, and not the CD Audio tracks.

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My copy of Audio Bullys - Ego War will not play on a pc. When I put the disc in it asks for another piece of software. Oddly though I still converted it to mp3 without any protection problems. My thoughts are the new software it wanted is the copy protection. Good theory or not?

5. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few Copy Controlled CDs now and I thought the system that it uses was deeply flawed since I've had absolutely no problem copying them at all, they don't seem any different to regular audio CDs. Nothing extraordinary about my PC and I'm only using Nero for ripping and burning.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    use CDRWIN here, can "backup" copy protected cd's without issue.

7. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    How can I make a copy of a Copy Protected CD to a minidisc so I can use it in my car ?

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    not sure, as i don't have a mini-disc player, but i shouldm imagine there is a way.

9. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    There is a way !!

Managed to sort it out now..just connected analogue phono outs of CD direct to MiniDisc unit instead of via amp, flicked switch to disengage optical input & voila !

So..Can now have Iron Maidens "Dance Of Death" in the car md player now..dont see why they havent released it on MD..they did with their last album..ah well..at least I've got the DVD-A to look forward to to compare with my new CD & Ripped MD !!

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    but using the analogue inputs/outputs will decrease the quality

11. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yes, fair point, but the original CD is for the house, as long as I have a decent quality version for the car then until I can copy it digitally then its gonna have to do.

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I have a good idea. Since the RIAA have started sueing individuals over the pond, they have stated in court that consumers only purchase a "licence" to play the music, not the cd itself. So technically if you have purchased the cd it is not then illegal to download the mp3's of the album from the internet, as you already own the "licence" for that particular album. I personally don't see the problem if you already own the cd and it won't let your computer copy to your walkman/ hd

13. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hows this for a kick in the teeth.
    This morninig I received my copy of the new a perfect circle cd from cd-wow. Apon removing it from the packaging i notice a "copy controlled" logo plastered on the side and on back.
    I thought I'ld stick it in my pc and rip it to mp3 to load up on my ipod. When I inserted the cd into my drive i was greated by a pop-up asking me to install "software" to be able to play the disc, which i declined to do. I then tried various programs (eac/cdex/winamp) to rip/listen to the cd, but nothing could reconise the disc.
    After I had calmed down and stoped moaning about the Protection. I decided I would just enjoy play the music via my "hifi" and not bother loading it onto my ipod.
    Atm my "hifi" is comprised of a toshiba sd330e and a marantz sr4300.
    Whilst i was listening to the first track, the music kept "jumping" and "skiping". I removed the disc to inspect it and its fine :confused: I replaced the disc back in the drive and the same thing happaned (at roughly the same time intervals). I tried the disc in a friends midi hifi and it plays fine :E
    So now im gonna have to shell out on a new peice of kit. I cant help feeling I've been punished for supporting the artists that I like and love to listen to.

*rant over*

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Cdex worked for me, as stated above, have you got the latest BETA version?

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    i've been agruing with people over on another BB about this. These copy-protected CD's are NOT official Cd's, hence they don't carry the logo.

So why should your PC CD-Rom or Hi-fi play it?

16. junk

junk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems it's all down to the drive being used I tried a brand new dvdr and it see's all the audio tracks no probs and lets me rip it to mp3
    all software that failed before worked fine
    so copy controlled cds - I can buy em but can't play the damn things till I rip them to a mp3 cd

17. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Return the "CD" and get your money back. Then download the album off the P2P network. "That'll learn 'em"

It is a bit hyprocritical that (e.g) Sony can produce a portable minidisc player capable of downloading MP3s from a PC and yet are one of the record companies responsible for copy-controlled CDs.

18. MrTaylor

MrTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    someone will always find a way around things!

19. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    So by your definition, if you buy one copy of Windows (with one license) you can copy it and install it on half a dozen different PCs (if that's how many you have in your house).

Things don't work like that unless the license agreement specifically allow it (and not many do nowadays).

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    actually, i phoned microsoft about this, and if you own the other computers you can install one copy of windows on a million computers, if you aren't a business.

So nah! ;)

my copy of windows is on my desktop pc, my girlfriends (mine also) my laptop, my games pc, and thats about it

21. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    that wasnt what i got told - strictly it shouldn't be on more than one computer at a time but they'd probably be ok if you had it on a laptop as well so long you didn't use them at the same time.. e.g if you were going away on business.

Copy controlled discs just don't work - theres always someone who can leak them on the net. Recent examples have been Kosheen (iirc?) which had copy protection that worked on pcs but not on macs and then one i tried myself was A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step which much to my annoyance didn't work with EAC but was read fine by cdex (although i did use my dvdrw with cdex and my standard plex cdrw with EAC which may have affected those results).

I generally buy my music nowadays but due to the fact that i have an ipod if i can't for whatever reason rip it to a high standard (not crappy 128 like they allow to be played on your pc after installing some spy/bloatware crap) then i'll just find it on a p2p program.

It does them no favours..

22. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Couldn't agree with you more. By releasing these pseudo-cd's they are encouraging people who don't have the know-how to rip them to just search the fasttrack or gnutella networks and download the songs themselves, rather than buying them.