• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Copy+ and new 2TB hard drive

The Sorcerer

Established Member
Just got a secondhand Amstrad DRX-890 from Ebay and a brand new 2TB Western Digital hard drive to put in it. Because I didn't have any old recordings or pre-Darwin thingy to swap over, I used the 10.3MB "vanilla xtv" pre-Darwin image file as the "source drive" and obviously my new 2TB drive as the destination.

Copy+ seemed to 'do its thing' but only took about two minutes, maybe even less, and then said "drive image restoration complete" or some such thing.

Is that really it? Is the disk now initialized and/or formatted and ready to be put in the box - or has something gone wrong? I don't quite know what I expected but for a drive of 2TB size I expected it to take hours rather than two minutes :confused:

BrianMc

Established Member
Is that really it? Is the disk now initialized and/or formatted and ready to be put in the box - or has something gone wrong? I don't quite know what I expected but for a drive of 2TB size I expected it to take hours rather than two minutes :confused:
That is really that! It only has to do a drive format to the XTVFS file system - (which according to the Copy+ site is similar to FAT32). The STB will create all the control files on first boot.

Actually COPYING programmes (which you are not doing!) does take up to a few hours for a fairly full drive.

The Sorcerer

Established Member
That is really that! It only has to do a drive format to the XTVFS file system - (which according to the Copy+ site is similar to FAT32). The STB will create all the control files on first boot.

Actually COPYING programmes (which you are not doing!) does take up to a few hours for a fairly full drive.

Thanks Brian, much appreciated. I'll now start surgery on the box :D

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom