Copland CSA 70 Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Didn't understand the comments on the Knobbs, they stolen from an 80's egg timer ( in black it looks better)

Entry level at just under 3k seems a little rich of me.

@Ed Selley another great review thank you. Would this be a solution for running more power/current hungry speakers like SCM40s do you think?

I think that might be borderline as the SCM40 does like to be driven. It's worth a go but, for better or worse, about the lowest powered amp that has really made them sing for me is the Supernait series.

Entry level at just under 3k seems a little rich of me.

It's the entry point of Copland ownership. I would not be so rash as to call three grand as a price point, 'entry level.'

I think that might be borderline as the SCM40 does like to be driven. It's worth a go but, for better or worse, about the lowest powered amp that has really made them sing for me is the Supernait series.
Thanks @Ed Selley which confirms what I was thinking. The Copland is a really special integrated in the £3K bracket and but for my current ATCs, I’d give this a serious audition. I tried the SN3 which worked really and it was a very close call, but after also trying the Aethos and H190 I went for Exposure pre/power.

Thanks @Ed Selley for another excellent review - definitely one to consider. As someone who spends a lot of time listening at low to moderate volume I was just wondering how you thought it fared at lower listening levels?

Thanks @Ed Selley for another excellent review - definitely one to consider. As someone who spends a lot of time listening at low to moderate volume I was just wondering how you thought it fared at lower listening levels?

Aside from the pot gearing being quite steep (so there's limited fine adjustment at low levels), the performance is every bit as good.

@Ed Selley, thank you for the review. This is an amp that I would seriously consider, were I to replace my current one. But that is someway off.

What interests me at the moment is the Vertere Sabre. Have you reviewed it and if not do you intend to? Earlier in the year, I took the decision, not to go the MC route, but to stay with MM, hence my interest.

There will be a review in HiFi Choice and I've covered it with the Mystic and SG-PTA for an upcoming review in HiFi Critic. The short summary is that it's excellent (although, there are now some other seriously talented MMs on the market too). I'm not averse to doing more cartridge reviews here but;
  • There has to be some interest in me doing so.
  • With the best will in the world, it'll be at a more affordable level than £845.

There will be a review in HiFi Choice and I've covered it with the Mystic and SG-PTA for an upcoming review in HiFi Critic. The short summary is that it's excellent (although, there are now some other seriously talented MMs on the market too). I'm not averse to doing more cartridge reviews here but;
  • With the best will in the world, it'll be at a more affordable level than £845.
Thank you. I look forward to your review in Hifi Choice. I am always interested in cartridge reviews, especially MM & MI.

so this gives a naim supernait 3 and aethos a good run for your money ? (strictly sq speaking)

I would be interested in some MM cart reviews, I'll be looking to change my 2m Bronze next year for something more organic sounding.

so this gives a naim supernait 3 and aethos a good run for your money ? (strictly sq speaking)

Yes. It's not as forceful as either of those and it is nowhere near as powerful as the Rega but it can keep them honest sonically (while doing decoding too).

Aside from the pot gearing being quite steep (so there's limited fine adjustment at low levels), the performance is every bit as good.
Can't believe they are still knocking amps out with this major flaw. Not mentioned in the review?

Can't believe they are still knocking amps out with this major flaw. Not mentioned in the review?

It's more a function of conventional volume pots than this amplifier specifically. There are measurement arguments for persisting with them and you could always externally attenuate if you needed to.

I've got one of these coming on a home trial.

Currently got a Nad M33 which has developed a faulty display after a firmware update. Waiting for SSAV to get new stock of replacement displays to get it repaired. However, I'm quite loath to have a piece of kit whereby a firmware update can knacker a piece of hardware. Its a shame as I love the look of the M33 and the sound quality was satisfying.

If the Copland is as good as this review suggests that I'll keep it and sell the M33 when it comes back from SSAV (it will still have warranty on it so I'm hoping to at least match the price of the CSA 70).

If anyone is interested I can offer some observations on how they compare.

Now I have tried the CSA70 vs. CSA100.
When I listen to the CSA100 I listen to find faults. The CSA70 is more engaging and I just listen to the music. I like the CSA70 more than the CSA100 that is also a great amplifier btw.

When I listen to the CSA100 I listen to find faults. The CSA70 is more engaging and I just listen to the music. I like the CSA70 more than the CSA100 that is also a great amplifier btw.
👍🏻

Does anyone have experience on how the Copland CSA 70 compares to something like a Hegel H120 in terms of sound?

Interesting point. I love tech but I'm a bit wary of some of the high functional digital products like the NAD M33 and/or Lyngdorf amplifiers versus old school Exposure design amplifiers. I want something to last a few decades if it costs a few thousand pounds and I'm not convinced that some of these digital fascia products will.

Interesting point. I love tech but I'm a bit wary of some of the high functional digital products like the NAD M33 and/or Lyngdorf amplifiers versus old school Exposure design amplifiers. I want something to last a few decades if it costs a few thousand pounds and I'm not convinced that some of these digital fascia products will.
In that case miggyboys, did you consider a Rega Atheos, good old solid british engineering that should last a good few years, and probably better sound than the Exposure you was thinking about.
I also considered the Exposure 3510 but I kept hearing it was too neutral (thin) and not warm and rich like the 2510, I do like clarity but not when it sounds too sterile, I like a little warmth.

I currently have a PMA1600NE which I am pretty happy with tbh, and was thinking of upgrading to a Hegel H120 or used H190 but like you am concerned by the amount of complicated circuitry inside, the thing that put me off most was only 2 analog inputs AND I will also be using my Chord 2qute Dac which I absolutely love BTW and have no interest in balanced inputs either, nor do I need onboard streaming as I have my own streamer. The Atheos is definitely in the running for me as soon as I can get a listen.

In that case miggyboys, did you consider a Rega Atheos, good old solid british engineering that should last a good few years, and probably better sound than the Exposure you was thinking about.
I also considered the Exposure 3510 but I kept hearing it was too neutral (thin) and not warm and rich like the 2510, I do like clarity but not when it sounds too sterile, I like a little warmth.

I currently have a PMA1600NE which I am pretty happy with tbh, and was thinking of upgrading to a Hegel H120 or used H190 but like you am concerned by the amount of complicated circuitry inside, the thing that put me off most was only 2 analog inputs AND I will also be using my Chord 2qute Dac which I absolutely love BTW and have no interest in balanced inputs either, nor do I need onboard streaming as I have my own streamer. The Atheos is definitely in the running for me as soon as I can get a listen.
Kapkirk, nice to hear you insights. I didn't have Rega amps on my shortlist as they're very musical and perhaps add a little extra richness to be so. They're great amps all the same but I prefer a totally neutral sound. Model wise, I think the Rega Elicit MK5 is a closer comparison to the Exposure 3510. Still, worth checking out. Your Denon PMA1600NE is an excellent amp, I remember when it first came out. Hegel and Copland too, all great amps but most annoying when it comes to the number of analogue inputs.

I'm in the same boat as you, regarding 'separates'. I don't need an amp with a built in DAC or streamer and of course, some of them you're paying extra for the privilege. It makes sense for amps to have these built in but I wish some of the manufacturers would do model versions without these features and sell them at a lower cost for those that don't need them....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom