Copied DVD's - playback problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gluckett, Mar 29, 2005.

1. gluckett

gluckett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use DVD Shrink to re-author or compress an original DVD then writes to an ISO image file.
    I then use DVD Decrypter to write the image file back to DVD.

I have started experiencing a problem. I recently burnt an ISO of a movie to DVD and tried to play it on my Sony DAVS400 system - it errored that the disc was dirty.

I took the same disc and tried it on a lower spec machine I have in another room and it played fine. Is there some sort of flagging on the disc that the lower spec machine does not require to play whereas the higher spec machine does?

I am using an LG dual layer +/-RW DVD burner with -R discs

If anyone could offer an explanation I would be very greatful.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi

Is there a specific reason you write the file to an ISO image. Would it not be easier to edit your DVD footage with shrink and output the files as standard .vob files and then use Shrink directly (via the plugin) or Nero 6 to write the files straight to DVD. It would be much quicker.

Sony players are renowned for being very picky when playing recordable DVD's. especially -R. I've had experience with the DAVS400 before and have found:

1. Use +R DVD's if you can. The DAVS400 seems to be happier with them rather than -R DVD's. Burn at 2.4x

2. If you want to use -R burn the DVD's at 1x or 2x. Burning DVD's at 4x will more than likely not work with the DAVS400.

3. I've used all sorts of -R DVD's in the DAVS400 and have found that the cheapest Datawrite Red's 4x V3.0 (£13 for 100) work just fine if you burn at 1x or 2x and copy footage directly from Shrink to DVD using the Nero plugin.

3. gluckett

gluckett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!! Big help! I'll give that a go!

4. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would that be quicker? It still has to write the same 4.36gb out whether you output an iso file or video_ts file structure. Shrink also has a plugin to burn the iso directly using DVD Decrypter. As DVD Decrypter is free it is by far the best way to keep yourself 'future proof'.

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You are right...my posting was badly worded. What I was trying to point out that it would be quicker to edit and burn DVD content within Shrink rather than taking the ISO file and burning it in a different software package.

Of course you may have to do this if the Nero plugin does not work or is missing but I thought Shrink used the plugin regardless of whether you had Nero installed or not. However I maybe mistaken on that point.

Perhaps you can clarify. :smashin:

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In my and many others' experience, the most compatible copies are made by keeping everything in the ISO domain and burning the resulting image with DVD Decrypter.

Recommendations for particular discs should be accompanied by a media code rather than a brand name.

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure which plugin it uses as I have both Nero and DVD Decrypter installed. You have to tick an option to enable Nero burning, but whether that also enables iso/DVD Decrypter burning I'm not sure. When you select backup I get the option to create dvd folder, burn with Nero, create an ISO or create an ISO and burn with DVD Decrypter.

Although I have Nero installed I don't use it very much for DVD burning as earlier versions were very buggy (although latest version does produce compatible burns for me now) so I tend to use DVD Decrypter as it has always produced reliable compatible burns.

Whilst burning from within Shrink may save you 30 seconds or so I also tend to play back some of the converted movies on the PC as I prefer to check quality (if it has to be compressed a lot) and make sure that it plays back correctly (if I have removed some of the audio streams). This can be done whether you set it to create a dvd folder or an ISO as the ISO can be mounted using either Nero Imagedrive or Daemon Tools and then once checked burnt with either Nero or DVD Decrypter. If the movie doesn't need to be compressed too much and/or I don't remove any audio streams then I tend to burn from within Shrink.

8. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    i use shrink & nero to burn my dvds, & there all work on my sony 700

9. gluckett

gluckett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried burning using Nero (as recommended) and DVD decrypter at lower speeds and both come up with the same result - the DAVS400 errors with 'disc is dirty'. I am still however using DVD-R. I will try DVD+R and post reply. Thanks to all

10. letitbleed

letitbleed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You may find the problem lies with the Sony laser,apparently this is a common problem with some of the older Sony's. Is the error displaying as c:13 ?

11. gluckett

gluckett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, C:13 is indeed the offending error code. What's the prognosis then? Can it be cleaned?
    It is quite random - the sony will quite happily play some DVD-R's but not others - obviously all original discs are unaffected.

12. letitbleed

letitbleed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you'll find it can't be fixed !!

13. gluckett

gluckett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the prognosis is get a newer model? I've had the DAvs400 around 4 years nowand am reasonably happy with it but it is my intention never to buy another original DVD again so if I must ....Few problems trying to justify the expense to er indoors though!? :) Ideally I would like to keep all the audio cabling and surround speakers in place and just replace the unit, do Sony all have compatible audio terminations? Or is that asking way too much?

14. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    i think it all depends on the speaker setup you have

if the speakers go into a amp then 1 lead goes from the amp to the dvd player , you will not have a problem

i am sure you can pick up cheap sony dvd players for about £50