Answered Copied disc confusion *Sony XB8AV*

00mike00

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a big old Sony system, in a previous thread I mentioned that I’d always wanted one and it certainly lives up to the spec.

From the beginning I played all of my old CDs on the system no problem. I had some mixed copied discs which I’ve began to throw out because sadly this system doesn’t play them.

I had pretty much given up hope, when I bought a Bluetooth receiver but the sound came out awful because I think the solder joints on the phono connections are dry.

At the weekend for some reason I stuck a few CDs in including a Metallica album I bought but copied on to a disc. It played straight away in the system!

Sticking it in the PC only revealed it was .CDA format which Is obviously a sign I burnt it with Windows Media Player. So I need to replicate whatever settings I had for this CD. I tried a few different things on the last three blanks I had lying around. I changed the settings from fast to slowest, without gaps and turned auto volume levelling off to ensure it was as close to old school as possible. The CD’s were just standard 700mb CD-R’s and the files were MP3 to begin with. Can someone shed any light on as to why I can’t make another CD work?

My guess, from the age of the system & lack of any reference to CD-R in the manual, is that it will only play complete 1:1 copies. Hence why it plays the Metallica CD that you say was a copy but won't play mixed CD-Rs.

Just a thought but when you say you connected the Bluetooth adapter to the phono, did you mean literally the sockets labelled Phono? If so that's only for a turntable & would have been overloaded by the BT adapter. You should use the AV input.

Last edited:
Its been a while but make sure that what you burn is an actual audio cd and not a cd with audio files on it. Then burn it in disc-at-once mode.

Its been a while but make sure that what you burn is an actual audio cd and not a cd with audio files on it. Then burn it in disc-at-once mode.

Yes, I am definitely burning an audio CD using media player.

My guess, from the age of the system & lack of any reference to CD-R in the manual, is that it will only play complete 1:1 copies. Hence why it plays the Metallica CD that you say was a copy but won't play mixed CD-Rs.

Just a thought but when you say you connected the Bluetooth adapter to the phono, did you mean literally the sockets labelled Phono? If so that's only for a turntable & would have been overloaded by the BT adapter. You should use the AV input.

Sadly I don’t have the source electronic files for the Metallica album on my PC anymore (I checked the other day) but I remember I downloaded them and they were MP3’s.

What I can’t understand is why an album of MP3’s on this particular CD-R plays when another album I have in MP3 format when burnt, doesn’t work.

Sorry if I'm being slow here but I didn't think there was an AV input on the system?
As for the BT adapter it's likely it was for the extra speakers, or indeed a turntable as you say.

if you are writing them out as an audio cd and it doesn't work try a better brand of CDR and write out at a maximum of 4x write speed or even better 2x write speed and see if that works

if you are writing them out as an audio cd and it doesn't work try a better brand of CDR and write out at a maximum of 4x write speed or even better 2x write speed and see if that works

So you're suggesting it has nothing to do with settings of the software or format of the audio to begin with. It's only a matter of CD-R quality and speed?

Sadly I don’t have the source electronic files for the Metallica album on my PC anymore (I checked the other day) but I remember I downloaded them and they were MP3’s.
I'm confused. Your first post said you copied the bought CD but now you're saying you downloaded MP3s? Or were you saying that you bought the downloads?

Sorry if I'm being slow here but I didn't think there was an AV input on the system?
CBA to go searching again but pretty sure when I looked originally there was a pair of phono inputs labelled Phono for a turntable & another pair labelled AV, which would be line level.

As for the BT adapter it's likely it was for the extra speakers, or indeed a turntable as you say.
I have no idea what this means?

I'm confused. Your first post said you copied the bought CD but now you're saying you downloaded MP3s? Or were you saying that you bought the downloads?

Yes I bought an electronic copy of the album.

I have no idea what this means?

Sorry I meant i probably plugged the phono leads into the wrong connections on the back. I will have to try the AV that you mentioned earlier.

So you're suggesting it has nothing to do with settings of the software or format of the audio to begin with. It's only a matter of CD-R quality and speed?

the trouble i'm having is your posts are all over the place i don't know if your referring to MP3's copied straight to CD as binary files or MP3's converted to CD audio red book standard disk

so...
if your converting MP3's to cd audio and writing them out as an audio cd the only thing i can think of why it is not being recognised is the quality / burn quality of the cd's you are using
thats if the cd player does play CD-r's in the first place

it used to be a problem years ago with cheap cd's and some branded players, the cure was to use decent quality CD-r's and burn them out at a slow speed

the trouble i'm having is your posts are all over the place i don't know if your referring to MP3's copied straight to CD as binary files or MP3's converted to CD audio red book standard disk

It’s possible I didn’t explain the album part well enough but I guess I wasn’t sure how much would ride on the source.
I said in the first post I had a Metallica album which I burnt to a disc. In the second post I said I didn’t have the files anymore on my PC.

Thats if the cd player does play CD-r's in the first place

At the weekend for some reason I stuck a few CDs in including a Metallica album I bought but copied on to a disc. It played straight away in the system!

I’ve bought the same Sony CD-Rs that the Meticallca album was written onto to test out the theory.

I guess the ultimate question is what exactly do you want to achieve? If it's just playing files from the PC to the Sony then there are better ways of doing it than burning CDs.

I guess the ultimate question is what exactly do you want to achieve? If it's just playing files from the PC to the Sony then there are better ways of doing it than burning CDs.

I tried using my phone with a 3.5mm jack to phono into the back and it wasn’t happy at all with that.
Then I tried the BT receiver but got the same awful sound quality. I’ll have to see about using the AV connections that you mentioned earlier in the thread.

It’s possible I didn’t explain the album part well enough but I guess I wasn’t sure how much would ride on the source.
I said in the first post I had a Metallica album which I burnt to a disc. In the second post I said I didn’t have the files anymore on my PC.

I’ve bought the same Sony CD-Rs that the Meticallca album was written onto to test out the theory.

there is the confusion
did you burn out as MP3's to cd ( basically copy n past ) or did you convert the MP3's to audio cd format through the software you used to burn the disk

the difference is one will play in your cd player ( audio red book standard CD ) the other will not ( PC ISO disk )

there is the confusion
did you burn out as MP3's to cd ( basically copy n past ) or did you convert the MP3's to audio cd format through the software you used to burn the disk
the difference is one will play in your cd player ( audio red book standard CD ) the other will not ( PC ISO disk )

I bought some Sony CD-R’s last week and they arrived Friday, I tested them out and they worked first time. So I marked your answer best as you did say “try better” although in this case it’s literally brand biased. I honestly wouldn’t have thought this from such an old system but neither the TDK or Verbatim CD-Rs worked at all.

Thanks for all of your input

I bought some Sony CD-R’s last week and they arrived Friday, I tested them out and they worked first time. So I marked your answer best as you did say “try better” although in this case it’s literally brand biased. I honestly wouldn’t have thought this from such an old system but neither the TDK or Verbatim CD-Rs worked at all.

Thanks for all of your input

back in the old days ( mid to late 90's ) the brand of cd-r and write speed used to make all the difference especially with branded players
if we believe everything we are told using a slower write speed gave a deeper burn i'm not so sure about that but whatever it does it seemed to work :)

I had a Marantz CDP which suffered similar and after a laser change it read every burnt CD I had

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom