cooling space between crossfire cards

big rd

Established Member
Reaction score
i am thinking of getting two sapphire 7970 ghz vapor x cards for crossfire.
they will fit ok but as they are a two and half slot card i will only have about 15 millimeter gap between the two cards.
i have a 200 millimeter fan on the side off the case blowing straight on to the cards.the case is a xigmatek elsyium and has pretty good cooling.
is a 15 mill gap ok or should i rethink.
i will post some pics when done.

i am thinking of getting two sapphire 7970 ghz vapor x cards for crossfire.
they will fit ok but as they are a two and half slot card i will only have about 15 millimeter gap between the two cards.
i have a 200 millimeter fan on the side off the case blowing straight on to the cards.the case is a xigmatek elsyium and has pretty good cooling.
is a 15 mill gap ok or should i rethink.
i will post some pics when done.

They'll run a lot warmer with two of them, I wouldnt be surprised if they get close to or hit 90 under total load, the big side fan will massively help, i wouldnt hesitate to get two of them if you want them.

Have you got one of the cards already? If not just get standard 2 slot 7970's and over clock them yourself, bigger gap that way, and you'll save money.

Or if you have one already get a 2 slot 7970 and oc it to the same or close level, as the xfire runs at the speed of the slower card, that way you'll have a bigger gap

Last edited:
Chox is correct, I've got 2 Ghz 7970's and under full load they'll go over 90 on total load, and I've got around 7 case fans.

There's not really alot you can do about the space issue to be honest, there's no work around it unless you bought a new mobo with 4x 16x slots. Heat and noise comes with duel cards, little you can do unless you watercooled.

thanks for replying. ive not got them yet.
what standard 7970 would you recommend over the sapphire i was going for it for the looks and performance

90! I'd be throwing a fit at that temp. :eek: Aren't the WF's a 2 slotter?

thanks for replying. ive not got them yet.
what standard 7970 would you recommend over the sapphire i was going for it for the looks and performance

I'd get the windforce and oc it yourself, or get the windforce ghz if you wanna spend more, the extra gap between them will be most welcome, and its an excellent card performance wise.

I'd be close to having a hissy at 90 as well, but cards can run that high without any problem and with 2 cards under air, under 100 percent load, thats not uncommon. Although that side fan will be a bit of a god send if youre xfiring for temps.

it sounds like i could use the pc to strip paint if i go ahead with the sapphires .
a total rethink is in order.
i had better just add that i use a 27 inch monitor with 2 6970s one of which is going to be used in another pc now.
i do like to have the highest settings when playing a game so what do you gus think my best options are.

You have two multi-GPU card and a single-GPU card options here - GTX690, HD7990 or The Titan.

Since you're coming from an XFire setup, you must be fairly happy with it (or aren't affected by any issues related to XFire).

Personally I wouldn't get Sapphires, their warranty is terrible. If anything goes wrong with the cards you're looking at a months minimum to get it fixed or a replacement as you'll have to send it to China. That's after you actually get the to accept the RMA first, and that will slow down the process.

90 is a high temp, it only happens when both cards are using above about 99% usage and a game is really pushing them. Crysis 3 is the newest suspect, but in most other games the temps stay around 75 degrees or lower.

your right jambo i dont think ive ever had a problem with crossfire in the past.
not keen on titan. i think choxes idea is the way i am thinking. or what about two 680s

Two 680s are a good shout, or a 690, temps would be excellent on a 690.

Less vram that way remember, assuming thats something youre ok with.

Ive not seen any of the 7990's but that could be a good option if theres decent ones out there.

I agree i wouldnt touch the sapphires, their warranty is dire, didnt even think about that before, gigabyte, evga and msi are the best options card wise from pretty much every pov.

Nvidia or amd is a bit more of a personal choice at this price point, for what its worth i'd probably go for dual 680's, if feeling rich the 4gb versions.

ive just been looking at the 4 gig 480s maybe get one now and another later ime of to bed now .
i will have a good look tommoro and get back to you all.
thank for your time guys.

ive just been looking at the 4 gig 480s maybe get one now and another later ime of to bed now .
i will have a good look tommoro and get back to you all.
thank for your time guys.

I think you mean a 680 ;)

It's up to you, and how much money you would want to spend :thumbsup:

hi all
your right jambo 680 and thats what i went for an evga 680 4 gig ftw. i decided to go for one card for now and see how i get on. i hope to have it up and running by friday so i will report back .

hi all
your right jambo 680 and thats what i went for an evga 680 4 gig ftw. i decided to go for one card for now and see how i get on. i hope to have it up and running by friday so i will report back .

Good luck and God speed!

Enjoy your 680 mate :) It has plenty of VRAM for a heavily modded Skyrim, you need to get involved! :)

big rd said:
hi all

Good card mate, got one of those and very happy with it !

Need a longer SLI bridge so I can space my cards out.

Anyone find a 120mm SLI bridge for sale in the UK?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers. For some reason could only find non UK places selling them. Surprised no large retailers stock them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom