Question Cooling Solutions...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Alaric, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hi There,

I've a Home Cinema build that's pretty good if a little odd.
    I bought the house with having a cinema in mind and it's a end of terrace 4 story town house that has a huge top floor room built into the eves.
    It's like a pre-done loft conversion, with two dormer window built into the sloping sides. There's a small(ish) loft above still and the sloping roof comes down to about 1.5m.
    I've blocked one window off and my screen wall sits in front with the projector just in front of the other Dormer. I've a tiered platform with a double lazyboy and a set of 3 cinema seats behind. I'm covering the walls and ceiling in black velver and the 120" screen works well.
    It's an awesome room apart from one thing.....It's waaaay too HOT!

My old cinema was ground floor and i just installed a split aircon! However being 4th floor that'll need a scaffolding tower to install and even then 5M down would be like 2-3rd floor and still need ladders. It's also over a road where people park.

I did wonder about fitting one and putting the outside unit it the loft, but the loft hatch is restrictive and I'm not sure how much air flow etc.

I wondered about a split portable with the outside unit in the loft as they're smaller, but it seems mobile splits are permanently connected to the detachable bit, so that's a no go.

The dormer window at the back is semi accessible, but needs a black out blind down or the picture goes to heck. They've small double windows hinged on the vertical side, so getting a vent/seal is also tricky!

Not sure I like the idea of Ice/water based units where expensive electrics are.

Anyone got any ideas or have come across this issue ???

Lee

2. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Would it be possible to run the pipework internally down a couple of floors then exit outside? You would need to verify the unit used could cope with the length of the pipe runs.

I did come across a unit that was self contained (no external condenser), just needs two large holes drilling through the wall. I seem to remember the instructions said all work could be carried out from inside, but of course that does involve core drilling two 152mm holes through the wall still, with the chance of falling debris.

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/pdf/xpelair/xpelair-digitemp.pdf

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  3. jamieu

jamieu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    What about hiring a boom lift and operator for half a day? Get everything you can sorted inside, make sure you have all the fixings and tools you could possibly need and hopefully fit the outside unit in a single morning. Would be a lot easier/safer than a high scaffolding tower, although probably dependent on whether your local council provides hourly permits at a reasonable cost and whether you need the fitting of the external unit signed off by a building inspector (to be fair that sounds like a pretty reasonable ask, so I'm guessing you do) which might complicate things to the point it's not worth the time, effort or cost.

(says the man who gets vertigo from looking out of a top floor window!)

4. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Interesting idea and could work. Though they seem to leave off details of how you install the covering grills at height. Limits to the outside wall. But I may have a look :D

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hadn't thought of a cherry picker. It's a private housing estate road and you can park there freely. With a bit of prep I can't see it being an issue.

Hadn't thought about Building Control. However a quick google shows
    Air Conditioning Regulations & Planning Permission Advice
    "Building Regulations

At present, owners do not need to obtain Building Regulation Approval before installing air conditioning. However, any electrical installation associated with the air conditioning should comply with the relevant electrical safety guidelines."

Which seems fine.

There's a and Air Conditioning Inspection rule (TM44) which is for installations combined over 12KW, which is a little over 40,000BTU - I've a 12,000 unit in the living room, so it limits me to 28,0000 so I should be good there!

6. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    The grills fold in half and appear to have chains/springs so you feed them through from inside and open them up, then secure.

I'd be wary of installing an external unit at height, if it ever needs any maintenance you'll need to hire a cherry picker again.

7. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Oh wow. That's kinda cool. Debris is the only issue there then. Guess it would fall, so if clear and someone keeping a watch out for people etc, it could be doable!

Yeah. I'd figured that one, but thanks. If I did it with a split unit, I'd try to get it so the unit was at a more manageable height. 2nd story type thing that was clear of any parking (even vans etc) underneath but accessible via a reasonable ladder. The main issue is the weight of the outside unit to install, once up maintenance should be less of an issue, but....