1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cooling shuttle

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by p00hbear, Jul 3, 2005.

1. p00hbear

p00hbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a shuttle SB83G5M HTPC, can anyone suggest a cooling solution for the CPU and also a 6600GT card. Temps are around 50 on idle. The VGA card is too loud and I would like a passive solution but space is an issue especially with these boxes. I would opt for a Zalman CNPS7700-CU or similar but will this fit as clearance may be an issue. For the VGA, I was tempted by the Arctic Silencer for the GT6600 but no sure if this will fit next to the PCI-E slot(on card) with cover on. Any suggestions welcome. Note I also have a PCI tuner card next to this too.

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    is it too late for you to swap the components?
    I have a shuttle and use the gigabyte fanless 6600GT, and a USB2 tv card (via a powered external hub). I thought the CPU is passively cooled in the shuttle?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. p00hbear

p00hbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Lisa,

I use the ICE system, but for some reason the CPU temps are 50+ and system just around 40 so quite suspicious that it could be a case of reapplying the thermal paste. I'll do this first once I find my AS5 compound :)

For the VGA, this is a major issue as I can hear the card from the next room, I should have got a passively cooled one but cant be bother to send back as it's not faulty and would incur some P&P charges. The shuttle is pretty small, do you have any heat issues with your GT6600?

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    I don't monitor the temps but have emergency shut down enabled in the BIOS, I often leave the shuttle on 24/7 as it has MCE on it and is the hub for my media files. It has never shut down. Oh, and I have been playing GTA San Andreas on it - and it has never conked out on me.

I have the SN41G2v2 - not sure if it is the same technology as yours? It has the silentX power supply, and although there is a vague whirring noise when it is on, it is not noticeable unless the room is in total silence.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. p00hbear

p00hbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I thought is was only my machine that made the 'whirring' noise, it has a silentx too, in this case it is not loud enough to cause a problem as the main culprit is the vga card, I will probably dig a bit deeper to get the silencer and test this out... I have MCE2005 and the tv output onto my 2005FPW is outstanding...