1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JohnS, Dec 24, 2002.

1. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have just upgraded my HTPC and while the picture quality with Dsscaler is definitley better due to the increased processing capability, I now find that I hace cooling problems in my Dign case.

Specs

Asus A7V333
    AMD XP2200+
    Zalman Flower Cooler
    2* 256mb pc2700 ddr
    Sapphire 9000 128mb radeon
    Enermax EG365AX PSU
    Maxtor 40Gb Diamondmax ATA133 7200 FDB
    Sound - using the onboard spdif to coaxial out
    Pinnacle Rave Capture Card
    Theatretek 1.5
    Powerstrip 3.29
    Dscaler 4.13

With the previous Celeron 1.2, I could have the adjustable fans on the Zalman and the Enermax on their slowest settings removed the case fan at the back of the Dign and there was virtually no noise from the PC and the temps running Dscaler were only about 49-50C. Tried that with the new setup and the temps very quickly passed 65C :eek: at which time I bailed out turned the fans right up. This dropped it a little towards 60 but obviously still a bit hot. I put the fan that came with the Dign back in the case which goes at the back by the processor, this improved things a litte. Next I removed the speed adjuster from the Zalamnn cooler as the motherboard has onboard adjusters. We are now down to about 59C but starting to get a lttle noisy. Read a bit over at AVS about adding a case fan at the front at an angle blowing across towards the processor. Again this is connected directly to a speed controller on the motherboard. Now I'm down to about 54C, cool enough probably but definatly too loud :(

Took the case lid off, disconeccted the case fans, turned the Enermax right down, the Zalamnn fan is running at 2200rpm controlled by the motherboard and the temps are only 52C again running Dscaler at 100% CPU usage. Lovely and quiet.

I have obviously considered watercooling but am not over keen, a mate suggested that an air-conditioning card is available for a PCI slot but I haven't heard them mentioned in these circles.

Any suggestions?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Any comments?:(

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    John, sorry can't help but maybe Kramer could, he is the Master cooler :)

4. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could replace the fan that comes with the flower cooler with a Papst 3412NGL from www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk . At full speed it runs at 23dB which should be quieter than the Zalman fan. At this speed it's airflow rate is 36cfm.

Also, instead of simply placing this fan on the Zalman bracket, you could replace the Zalman heatsink with a standard one and use a fan adaptor. This should give better cooling than on the bracket as the fan will be nearer to the processor (worked for me) and eliminate the noise from the Zalman bracket vibrating (you won't hear this unless the rest of your pc is very quiet).

Also, you could build your own fan adaptor by screwing a standard 60mm fan to the heatsink using two screws in diagonally opposite corners, and feeding a 30cm length of plastic kitchen ties through the other two holes. Place the Papst on top of this fan spaced with blu-tak and secure by threading the ties through it's screw holes.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  6. AnD

AnD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John
    You know, when I'm playing games on my athlon 2000xp it gets very hot 83C (!) - but never crashed (last night four-hours contineous playing). Watching DVD films is much more "cooler" only 73C.
    In my opinion you have cool computer.

my specs:
    mb GigaByte GA7VAX
    athlon 2000xp
    Zalman fan (1500 rpm - I think I'll speed it up)
    Gigabyte radeon 9000pro
    capture card from Avermedia
    Zoltrix sound card (Nightingale pro)
    pioneer DVD (slot)
    iomega zip
    seagate barracuda IV (60GB)

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    my athlon 2000xp it gets very hot 83C (!)

Wow :eek: :eek:

Thanks, everyone seems so concerned when tempratures get over about 55C that I was obviously concerned, nice to know that they can run hotter without too many problems, think I'd still like to get my temps down a bit though.

8. AnD

AnD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeees it is hot!
    But you know my previous computer was based on celeron 633 MHz -> passive cooling (no fan). That computer was hard to hear -it has only one fan working - from PSU (that fan was slowed down ) and the highest temp of CPU was 64C. My current HCPC has four fans working (PSU, CPU, and case fan and the graphics card), and I'm thinking about adding one more case fan at the front and adding passive cooling for my radeon 9000pro.
    Cooling down the athlons is tricky but it's fun to play with it.

9. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

After seeing your HTPC set-up I decided I would give it go using my XP-2000 system. I too used the flower cooler which is great, along with the QuietPC.com's PSU, but found my existing case fan to be far too loud.
    After much experimentation I found the best solution was to fabricate cardboard ducting around the CPU, Bridge Chip, and Memory and duct this to the case opening where the case fan used to be. With this set-up the flower coolers quiet fan blasts the CPU, and bridge chip's etc with cool air and is then ducted directly out of the case and is not allowed to be sucked in to the PSU.
    So the only fans I have are now the quiet flower cooler and the PSU, which no longer has to suffer the hot air blast from the CPU’s heatsink etc and consequently runs cooler and quieter.

The result of all this is the PC is now barely audible from the seating position. Hope this makes sense as I'm a bit pushed for time here at work at the moment. If I can help give me a shout.

Best regards

Technophobe

10. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to add that the CPU temp settles at around 48C.

Technophobe

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Technophobe

Hope your well. So you couldn't resist having a go at the HTPC then, I saw you sold the Phillips DVD player but I thought you were going to get the newer model.

How do you find the PC, what software are you using and was that temprature under full load using Dscaler or jsut DVD playback.

All,

Ordered the Silverado New Years Day, arrived this morning, 2 days on the cheap delivery option, I now have lid on tempratures with 100%CPU of around 55C and when running theatretek, 50C so well chuffed the result and its quiet. :)

12. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

The temperature I quote is while compressing MPEG's and MP3's which I find is more CPU intensive than anything else including DVD playback.
    I've still got the 962 as the buyer dropped out but I'm not to bothered as I wasn't really happy with the price I was getting.
    I was interested in the newer 963 for the potential to scale images to 720P using the new FLI2300 video processor chip but can't seem to find any data sheet for the register details etc.

I'm now playing with the PC mainly to display my photo's, but wanted to give the DVD playback a go too.
    While I'm on the subject can I ask you how I can alter the contrast level to set peak white in power DVD as there only seems to be a brightness function available. I've also looked in the ATI AIW display settings. I want to set both the desktop and the overlay settings so I can correctly display both photo's and DVD's. Any ideas?
    For info I'm using the all in wonder Radion, Power DVD, win98se.

Regards

Technophobe

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Kevin,

You can only adjust overlay settings when your using something that is displaying an overlay, when I used Poer DVD for a while I found the easiest way was to have PowerDVD running in a window and then just go into the advanced properties of the display card, without an overlay running they are greyed out, with it running you can adjust everything.

Theatretek is a noticable improvement over PowerDVD4, you can download it on a weeks trial before it locks you out and you have to register it, also I'd suggest downloading the Catalyst 2.5 display drivers for the ATI card.

I must admit that despite the extra trouble from the PC, the more I tweak the more I get out of it, Dscaler has made Sky+ relativley watchable which was my requirement for more processing power than my previous C1.2.

Regards

14. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info John.
    Where can I download Theatretek and the drivers?
    BTW I did have a DVD running when I tried to setup, but I could only see an option for brightness and no contrast greyed out or otherwise. Old Win 98 driver limitations perhaps?

Technophobe

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33