1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling off period?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Synchronicity, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok,I know everyone reccomends that u shouldnt have the pj on for more than a couple hours at a time(even though the manual advises against times in excess of 24 hours:eek: )but I was wondering how long you should leave it turned off for before cranking it up again:confused:

Ive bascially got a marathon night of boxing viewing coming up this Saturday and will probably be entertaining a group or drunken,impatient louts who wont take kindly having to wait for my baby to propelry cool:laugh: .How long do you suggest I leave it off for between each session?

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm no expert but i would imagine you're better off leaving it on.

Define marathon session? :)

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    UK card starts at 8(Ricky Hatton in poss fight of the year:smashin: )til 10.Chance of a break for an hour or so then BBC shows Robin Reids fight for an hour,possibly another chance of a break then back to SKY for Don Kings mega card from US for maybe 4-5 hours :clap:

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Oh, maybe 'just leave it on' was a bit premature :(

Any experts?

5. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    christ I leave mine on for 4-5 hours at a time :eek:

starting to think getting it was a bad idea ie cant leave it on too long, cant turn it back on too quickly after using it, and not using it correctly just brings on the chance of needing a replacement £300 lamp :eek:

6. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the “couple of hours” running time business established fact or forum myth? I mean I have got some films that last nearly four hours!!!

Anyway, I wouldn’t have thought that the bulb would take too long to cool down (half an hour?)

I think I am with MadAndy - too many rules - but then again bulbs are expensive…......:eek:

7. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of the 'myth' is born out of paranoia about heat soak damage to the LCD panels that can occur when they've racked up a few 1000's of hours (the AE100 was poor in this respect ;) ), whether these hours are racked up in 2 hour lumps or 5 hour lumps would have made sod all difference to the final failure though...

As long as your projector is properly installed there is no reason why you should not run for 4-5hours - The projector isn't going to get any hotter after the first half hour..

Just, make sure the projector is in a well ventilated and that any filters have had a good clean out and you should be fine.

That is unless your drunken louts are smokers in which case that's a far more serious problem for your projector :D

If you do turn it off, I'd leave it a good half hour.

-- Jon

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    They have all been warned my flat is now a no smoking zone,so no worries there.My brother has the flat below so his place is the dedicated smoking lounge:clap:

9. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the odd 'smoke' really likely to do much harm? :smoke:

I know it would eventually but as this is a one off I don't think it'd be of concern. I'm starting to think ppl here literally think of their Pj's as their "baby" :laugh:

10. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well now you mention it the woman in the kiddies section at John Lewis did give me a strange look when I booked my Z2 in for one of those 'babies first feet' imprint things...
    I assumed it was because 'my baby' had three feet but....

[No need for that - Kramer.]

11. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if anything I would have thought the longer you left it in on the better it is for the life of it, as same with cars, you do less damage to the engine when running than you do when first starting it up and having to turn off at the end, hence short runs here and there not only use more fuel but wreck the engine much quicker, and surely the warming up of the lamp and then turning off then on again later that night etc is not as good as turning it on and leaving it for a few hours at a time where quite rightly above its pointed out that once its hot thats it, it doesnt get hotter :)

how often do the filters need cleaning out then? just with water?