Quantcast

Cooling off period temporary car insurance

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I’m picking up a new car on a Thursday. I was going to leave my existing car at the dealers for the finance company to collect. This could take quite a few weeks and I need to keep the vehicle insured until collection. So I took out temporary cover with my insurance to cover the 2 cars, keeping the old car on my policy for 1 month.

Anyhow things have changed and I have sold my old car to a company that buys them off you. I will be handing it over to them on Thursday, so I don’t need the temporary cover any more.

I called my insurers to cancel the temporary cover and they said I can’t and I still have to pay for it, even though it hasn’t even started yet. Surely there should be a cooling off period like all insurance products ? The documents even say you can’t cancel. Where do I stand since I’m paying for something in my monthly payments I don’t require and I was only being efficient getting it all ready a few days before the collection.

Backspace

If they mean you have to pay for the month coverage then you'll have to pay it.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
If the period hasn’t started yet you would imagine words about not cancelling etc are legally dubious. I fully expect them to say they will take a fee equal to the month cover to cancel it.

Either way as @MrFraggle mnetioned - I’m not surprised.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I will be voting with my feet. They already shafted me this year on my house insurance too.

leo79

I used to use tempcover quite a bit when we had employees changing vans, vans in for repairs etc and they always stated that because its temporary cover they are exempt from any cooling off period and the payment will be taken whether the insurance is used or not.

Gaslight

I used to use tempcover quite a bit when we had employees changing vans, vans in for repairs etc and they always stated that because its temporary cover they are exempt from any cooling off period and the payment will be taken whether the insurance is used or not.
I dont think it makes it exempt from CCR regs regarding distance selling though? no matter how they try to spin it

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
See 'Cancelling Services' on this page.
As I said before it is certainly dubious - as long as the contracted period of cover hasn’t started. The majority of people will mutter and moan but accept what they are told of course hence the practice continues. If I was told that I would triple-check the cover hadn’t started and send a formal letter stating I was requesting my premium be refunded. Not only because I asked for that in the online cooling off period but because the service hadn’t been delivered.

“Temporary” is designed to confuse the issue - how long the future cover lasts isn’t relevant to the payment for it.

If the contracted cover had started the cancellation would reasonably be the same as for any other policy. Refund of the premium for unused months plus a small fee. Temporary cover is likely to be a month at most so no refund if the cover had started is reasonable IMHO.

Them merging the two things together and stating the premium isn’t refundable as it isn’t covered by distance selling legislation is typical of insurance companies IME. If a few individuals push back formally they tend to refund them. The vast majority accept it and the company retains the money.

Contracts cannot override legislation - if they could contract killings would be a bigger and more open industry than it is now :)

Sure you can agree to pay for things upfront like hotel rooms at a reduced rate and agree to lose the money if you don’t turn up. Personally I find that a bit dubious where distance selling rules are in place but it i a clear choice in cost. Not the same as an insurance contract where they add the word temporary IMHO.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
What happened there? If it's the usual renewal price hike ... never autorenew - haggle or take your custom elsewhere (with cashback too!). Customer "loyalty"/inertia is usually bad for the customer.
I claimed £200 for an Apple Watch. Should have know better but they increased my premium by £400! Have gone somewhere else now and will not bother with smaller claims ever again.