Cooling help on new build

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Woolcat, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Woolcat

Woolcat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

So I built myself a new HTPC consisting of:
    AMD APU A10 6800K Black Edition 4.4GHz Socket FM2 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    Asrock FM2A85X-ITX Socket FM2 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel audio Mini ITX Motherboard
    Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V Ballistix Tactical UDIMM 240pin
    Antec ISK 310 Mini ITX Case - With 150W PSU
    Arctic Mx-2 Thermal Compound (8g)
    Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 SSD SATA Rev. 3.0 / 2.5

I know it's overkill for just a bit of media use, but I also want to re-encode video, hence the beefy processor.

ANYWAY, the issue is the noise. For just internetting, it is fine, but start a movie and it sounds like the thing is going to take off! [​IMG]

So I've been looking at different coolers for the processor and possibly changing the case fans as well. These are my shortlist so far:
    Gelid Slim Silence A-PLUS [l
    or
    Scythe Kozuti

Opinions? Suggestions welcome! Main criteria are it has got to be able to fit into the small form case, and got to be as quiet as possible.

Thanks!

2. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Have you exhausted your CPU fan control options in the bios? My daughter's computer has a recent Asrock MB and we were able to adjust the CPU fan speed to a low setting such that it only started to ramp up if the cpu temperature went over a specfied temperature.

3. Woolcat

Woolcat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've had a play with them and from memory I think they don't kick in until 50'c. The trouble seems to be really when watching a film. I understand it needs to go like the clappers to cool the processor, especially in such a small case, but does it have to be so loud?!lol

4. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Seems a bit strange, my Haswell core i5 cpu doesn't get about 10% (<50C) when I'm watching blu-rays with XBMC (at least initaily). Using TMT6, it went to to 30% but with hardware acceleration turned on it also went close to 10% and the cpu temp was below 50C. Suggest somethings amiss with your cpu cooling. I'm impressed with the Noctua case fans which I use on my server

5. Woolcat

Woolcat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...i shall have another look in the bios when I get chance, see what's what.

I've read good things about the Noctua fans. Any recommendations for 80mm case fans? I'm only using one Antec Tricool at the moment (as well as the stock AMD fan and heatsink), but have got room for 2 case fans.

6. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    When SPCR reviewed this case they swapped the tri-cool fans for two noctua ones, and there is some discussion about fitting a Scythe Shuriken heatsink (minus fan), aligned so the case fans did all the work... you'd have to check clearance though!

Best of luck.