Cooling for Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paulcollins14, Apr 29, 2007.

1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just built a new entertainment/gaming rig but want to further improve cooling, especially for the graphics cards. This is the spec.

Silverstone TJ07 case
    Enermax Galaxy 1000 W PSU
    Core 2 duo fx 6800 CPU (Assus silent knight heatsink and fan replaced stock Intel heatsink)
    Nvidia 680i Motherboard with onboard 7.1 HD Audio
    2 x Nvidia 8800GTX in SLI configuration
    2 x WD Raptor 10,000RPM 150Gb HD (mirrored)
    2 x WD 7,200 500 Gb (mirrored)
    128 Mb Physics card
    4 x 1 Gb 1066 Mhz Corshair RAM.

The space on the motherboard is now very tight with the physics card between the 2 8800's and I'm concerned about heat buildup. I have seen advertised coolers that actually seem to fit over each of the graphisc cards but can't see how thet would fit into such a tight space.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

2. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention I have installed Vista Ultimate, both 32 bit and 64 bit seperately on each of the WD Raptors, the reason behind this being that I don't want any issues with 64 bit Vista and some of my 32 bit applications.

3. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Are you serious with the specs?
    Which bank did you rob for the stuff? :D

With that system (2x10,000 rpm etc), I would suggest that you keep the case open.

The case has sockets for fans at the bottom of the case, that doesn't look good to me. I would suggest that either keep it open if it gets hot (I keep mines open, as I can't stand fan noises) or think about water cooling.

4. necro_cowboy

necro_cowboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I'm aware, the only real way of cooling 8800GTX in SLi is watercooling. There are a lot of aftermarket air coolers and some of them get reasonable reviews (e.g. Thermalright HR-03 ) and claim to work in SLi but with the amount of heat being generated in your case and lack of ariflow, that could be a risk.

As finances don't seem to be much of an issue, I would seriously investigate watercooling to include CPU, GPU & disks.

Hope this helps.

NC

5. thehitman

thehitman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Paul,

Nice rig, I'm just about to get the same case as I have and Akasa Eclipse 62which is nice but need something bigger to house an XFX 8800 Ultra SLI water cooled system!!!

I would suggest you go down the root of water cooling. You have a huge case that will more than accomodate it and your SLi setup will appreciate the stability that it will get by operating at lower temperatures than stock. You will also notice that your system will not produce much noise either.

I have just purchased two Danger Den 8800GTX Water Blocks which would be ideal (not cheap at about £95 each!). They are about the best on the market at the moment and are fitted to BFG 8800GTX's if you want to see what they look like on. This will free some space on your motherboard also and will in turn help the flow of your system by cutting down on the congestion.

Let me know if you need any help and keep me posted on any upgrades you've done. I'm curios to see how the case performs.

J

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I have an akasa eclipse with a side panel which has a 120mm fan in it. I also bought a zalman bracket and have another 120mm fan blowing cool air onto my graphics card. It has lowered my graphics card temp by a good 10c which has allowed me to overclock it more. The zalman bracket was only £3-4 and my side panel was around the £20 and I replaced the fan with a noctua 120mm and added a 120mm fan to the zalman bracket.

I hope this helps.

7. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guy's,

Sorry for thr delay in replying, for some reason I no longer get e-mail updates to let me know when I have a reply.

The water cooling root sounds good, I have only been put off by my lack of understanding, If graphics cards are watercooled does everything need the same?

Have either of you benchmarked usung 3D Mark 06? Without overclocking mine reaches 12,500 and max I have had is just under 20,000, which I thought was great until you look at the league tables, some of those US overclockers seem to be using liquid nitrogen!!

Another thing I wanted to check with you is system temp. My Processor is running at around 37C, system board a degree less. The GPU is at a fairly constant 76C which seems high and will not respond to anymore than about 2-3% overclocking before locking up.

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Its been a while since I have run 3d mark. :)

I got from 1 x 8800gtx @ 621/1000 - 11180 points on 3d mark 06. Cpu was E6600 @ 3.0Ghz. Running Vista 32bit. This was using driver which were current in May 07.

My overclocked cpu runs in a cold room (in May) at 23-24c and summer temps are 28-31c. Fans have been toned down a bit due to my fan controller. I like my pc to be as quiet as possible. I have 6 x 120mm noctua fans in my case and a 120mm fan from corsair psu.

At stock the cpu temp was as low as 20c.

Using a a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 cpu cooler with a 120mm noctua fan.

Graphics card overclocked sits at 65-68c, this can go slightly lower if I turn up the fans but it only really makes a few degrees difference so I dont bother.

9. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your CPU and motherboard temps seem to be fine. Not so sure about your graphics card - I think some sort of cooling on it would help.

You don't seem to mention which case fan(s), if any, you have, and how they are positioned. Water cooling is a very good method, as it would be taking the heat directly away from the graphics card - but you might find a decent case fan that can take out the hot air from the graphics card area would have some effect (depending on the positioning of your case fan and graphics card).

10. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Mac - 8800GTX's run very hot anyway, especially if you have two ie in SLi.

Agreed that extra fans will help cool this area. I have a side panel with a fan (Akasa Eclipse) and I have added an extra fan on a zalman fan bracket for extra cooling.

Paul - Are your GTX's BFG OC2 or pre overclocked? If so you wont be able to push the limit much further. Its normally clocked to the limit or near it. Water cooling would be the only real way forward.

11. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah, I guess they would run pretty hot - but seeing as Paul says he's only overclocking 2 - 3% before it locks up, I'm surprised they run quite that hot at stock.

12. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    If its factory overclocked like the EVGA or OC2 BFG GTXs then you wont be able to push them much further. They basically push them with in a few percent of their limit. Before buying mine I read a fair amount of reviews and this was one of the comments. A stock GTX is 575/1800 (memory is 900) and the overclocked versions are 630/2000 (memory 1000). :)

13. Mac Sami

Mac Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Oh right, I didn't realise they factory overclocked some of them! :oops:

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I wouldn't worry about those temps, that seems to be the norm for the GTX cards from what I've seen.

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    No worries mate. :smashin: