Cooling down time

Spec-Chum

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be mounting my projector soon which may involve switching it off and on again as I've got a couple of mounting options in the room and need to decide where is best.

After switching it off how long should I leave it before switching it back on again? Or would it be best to try and find a way to keep it on?

Whilst I am bothered about reducing the lamp life, it needs to be done.

It's an Optoma HDX131xe

When you turn the picture off the mains supply is still connected while the fan cools the lamp down. Once the fan stops (takes about a minute to 2 minutes for mine) then you can switch off at the mains. If this procedure is followed you can turn straight back on again.

The fan on mine only keeps going for about 3 seconds, really loud.

Odd.

I bought this same projector 2 days ago and as far as i know it doesnt matter, just switch off, install mount and mount projector then switch it back on.

As far as im aware its the starting up that increases wear, its more to do with the time its on than the time its on. eg: switch it on watch a 3 hour movie and you only start it once in 3 hours whereas if you put it on n played ps4 for half hour at a time, over the course of 3 hours it would have started up 6 times causing more wear than switching it on once

I'd be very careful indeed.

I've heard comments of it being 60-90 minutes for the lamp to reach room temperature, and I'm not sure I'd want to move one until then.

I may just be being suspicious and unnecessarily over-cautious, I'm sure a lot of our resident installers/suppliers/dealers can give you a more scientific answer.

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom