1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling down my amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nixon, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,

I am very worried about how hot my amp gets. It is a MArantz 4200 and it is in a pretty confined space. This is the only place in the room where it can go and I was wonderin whether there were any gadgets or soforth that I cound buy?

2. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My old Pioneer VSX-D510 & Sony DE685 used to get pritty hot but so does most other av equiptment.
    Under most conditions thats fine, unless you experience constant shutdowns, then i suggest u need to move away from or exclude > things like direct sunlight > or external heat sources.
    Other measures you can take are simple things like using fans, dont put the volume up full crank, and make sure there aint any loose connections > and check your speaker Impedance which causes additional heat buildup.
    Ive had to deal with all these problems myself due to having a small room, by all means get back to me on that one, hope to be of some help.

Regards
    Adam C

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    try fitting a simple extraction fan system, based around a computer PSU and fans - i have done this in the past to good effect!

4. Gatto

Gatto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take care of heat build ups, as in the long run it can result to a shorter lifetime! Try to set good ventilation by installing small fans and keeping the Amp in a ventilated area segragated from other equipment! Ive been working in the IT industry now for 8 years and heat build ups are quite a nightmare for an electronic device! As most of the devices just freaks out or instantly shut down for not damaging the internals

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nixon...all amps should have sufficient ventilation space around them to allow adequate cooling,and certainly amps like yours were designed for convection cooling to be sufficient under normal conditions.....if it must be used in a confined space,then some means of increasing airflow such as fans will help your problem,but noise is almost always a slight background feature of this solution...I know,I have a set of Krell KMAs,which by the way run extremely hot,even with the fans,and have been totally reliable...but they were designed to run that way.

6. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for all your posts, but how would I install some fans? I built my own computer and am very interested in all aspects of electronics, so any help would be appreciated.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Comer had some useful tips on water cooling ;)